Who says a ghost can't run for prom queen?

That's the tagline of the book I'm reading, How Not to Spend Your Senior Year by Cameron Dokey. If you like YA, it's very cute. I'm also waiting for the new Melissa Bank book and the new John Irving book from the library. I'm more excited about the Melissa Bank book because it seems to have more positive word-of-mouth so far. The New York Times trashed the John Irving book. Although I just noticed that it got a positive rating at Amazon (4 stars). In my experience, if you read something that gets less than 4 stars at Amazon, you're taking a risk ;) My favorite John Irving book is A Widow for One Year. I actually didn't like The World According to Garp that much, but after reading A Widow for One Year, I've been with John ever since. (In an author-reader type way.)

Another note: How Not to Spend Your Senior Year is a Simon Pulse book, which I assume is an imprint of Simon & Schuster. I'm very happy with their Downtown Press chick lit imprint. So Simon & Schuster has the bearette24 stamp of approval.

I felt in a more bike-y mood than a yoga mood (plus, I've already been to yoga 3 times this week) so I hopped on my bike and rode up to 83rd Street or so (on the bike path so it was hard to tell), down to Canal, and back up to my street. I saw an ice cream truck get onto the West Side Highway with its music playing. Why do you need to play ice cream music on the West Side Highway? Answer: You don't. I think he just likes the song. Then he pulled off in front of Chelsea Mini-Storage and the music kept playing. There was nary a kid in sight. No rats either. I was grateful.

A word on the felafel man. I pass 2 felafel men on my bike rides. I think they switch shifts around 6:00. The pre-6:00 felafel man never says anything to me. He looks down at the eggplant and chickpeas he is grilling. He is a dedicated worker. The post-6:00 felafel man is a bit of a Lothario, a Casanova. He likes to yell, "WASSUP, MY LOVE?" Tonight I must have looked weary after walking my bike across the crosswalk while weaving in and out of honking cars, because he just said, "Hey! Are you all right?" Once, memorably, he asked me if I wanted some water and when I said no, he said, "WHY NOT????"

OK, that's all for now...We might see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If we do, I'll let you know. I did hear there was a scene with a roomful of real squirrels sorting peanuts.

Comments

Bearette said…
If it were P, he would set the radio to play "Stewball" by Peter Paul & Mary.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!