I'm thinking I might not apply to yoga school this fall. I don't really feel ready. I only have a year and a half of experience. And it also seems like bad timing. We're going to San Fran on August 1st, and I have to go to a wedding shower on July 31. The wedding shower is in New Jersey, which effectively wipes out the day.

The reason this is bad timing: the application is due on August 5th. We won't get back from San Fran until August 8th. So I would have to turn in the application a week early (July 30). AND I have to get 2 recommendations. I could ask J for one - she's been my teacher for a long time - but the teachers at the other center, I've only been with for about a month. That means I've only had about 4 classes with them. So I don't feel comfortable asking them for a recommendation. Especially when it would be a rush job. "Uh, hi, could you write me a recommendation? I need to have it in 2 weeks. Thanks."

Also I don't have the handstand, headstand without the wall, or the crow (an arm balance) pose down pat yet.

And there's a wedding in September, 3 weeks into the program. I can't get out of it. The directors were very serious about skipping class...they said no one should miss class, there's no way to make it up, etc. They even mentioned weddings as a reason people skip (without condoning it).

On the one hand, I'm skeptical. People MUST skip. At least sometimes. But I want to do it the right way. And the last time I had a job, it was a disaster. The law thing did not work out. So I'm timid about putting my toes in again.

And I like my novel, at least parts of it, but I don't love it. It's a first draft, so maybe it's only to be expected.

After I cooked dinner - broccoli, tomatoes, feta cheese and rice with oregano and garlic - I went off to the Strand and bought some half-price reviewers' copies.

Comments

Reighnie said…
For what it's worth, I agree with capybaras united.

You should go for it, unless there's like a huge application fee associated that would set you back, you can use this as a way to make an impression if you really don't think you'd get in this time around.

It could be like a practice run. Give it your best, make your impression, so that even if you don't get in, they can look forward to seeing you next time around when you know you'll have it together. Although, frankly, until this post, it sounded like you've got things down pat. I think it's just cold feet. Which is to be expected when it's something you are deeply passionate about.

The worse that can happen is that you don't get accepted this time, BUT they know who you are now, you know the process so you won't be as nervous because you'll know what to expect and you can get feedback from them on what it is that you need to work on and kick @$$ the next time around. Am I missing anything?

Just whatever you do, keep your confidence or at least project it even if you don't feel confident.

I think if you keep working as hard as you have been you have nothing to worry about, the dedication is there, the desire is there, and it sounds like you have the flexibility of Gumby :-p

Go for it!
Bearette said…
Thanks Sasha, that is really nice of you!

I'll ask for a recommendation at class this afternoon :)
Lora said…
Okay, this is what I call a tough love response.

You have a case of what's called the Yeah'buts. You are being a perfectionist and making life hard on yourself, because you are scared off by the application. I know this from experience 'cause I do it myself.

Please apply dispite all the doubts you are having. Just because you get in doesn't mean you have to go. Remember you are much more critical of yourself then anybody else would effort be. Apply! Please!

That wasn't too tough was it?
Bearette said…
:) Thanks Lora!
Anonymous said…
have you made a decision yet?
Bearette said…
Yup, the wheels are rolling. Or the ball is rolling. I asked for one recommendation, and I'll ask for the other on Tuesday. I drafted essays for the application, which I'll look at again soon. I'll turn in the app on July 30th.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!