My lunch


This is what D and I ate today. Excuse the plastic fork. I should probably go to some kitchenware store and buy a bunch of forks, but I haven't got around to it. (We have some, just not many.)

Anywho, I was inspired by Crystal's food blog - http://www.poco-cocoa.com. She has beautiful professional-style photography to accompany her recipes, so I decided to copy her just for today :)

If you want to make the above:

Felafel (from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook)

2 15-oz cans of chickpeas
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. finely minced onion
1/4 c. (packed) minced parsley
1/4 c. water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
a few dashes of cayenne
1/3 c. flour

1. Rinse the chickpeas, and drain them well.
2. Combine all ingredients except flour in a food processor and process until you have a uniform batter. (You can also use a potato masher but it's more labor intensive.)
3. Add flour, and stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Heat a heavy skillet and add about 3 Tbs oil. Drop tablespoonsfuls of batter into the pan, flattening each slightly, like a small, thick pancake. Saute on each side until golden and crisp.

Tahini-Lemon Sauce (same source)

3/4 c. sesame tahini
5 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 small to medium clove garlic, minced
3/4 to 1 1/2 c. water (I use the smaller amount)
1/2 to 1 tsp salt (I use the smaller amount)
A handful of very finely minced parsley
Optional: cayenne, to taste

1. Place tahini, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor or blender.
2. Keeping the motor running, slowly drizzle in the water. When it is as thick/thin as you want it, turn off the machine.
3. Transfer to a small bowl or container, and season to taste with salt, parsley, and, if desired, cayenne. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready for use. (According to the cookbook, it keeps for weeks in an airtight container.)

Yay!

Comments

Anonymous said…
that looks awesome, i havent falafelled in ages!
Bearette said…
you should!
Lora said…
I thought you'd like Crystal's blog.

I love falafel, it use to be my "signiture" dish. Although I would start with Fantastic Foods mix and then spice it up a bit.

I haven't made any in a long time, but I like this version.
Anonymous said…
Wow, thanks bearette! What a wonderful compliment. Your falafel looks delicious...I've tried the recipe from Passionate Vegetarian, which was also great. I need to try the tahini sauce, though...did you do falafel lettuce wraps? Interesting idea...
Bearette said…
I actually just put the felafel on a bed of romaine, with the sauce in the center...but lettuce wraps are a fun idea :)
Lora said…
Guess what I made up yesterday? Except I put them in a pita with spinach and yogurt. Thanks for the inspiration.
Bearette said…
Cool! you're welcome

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!