D and I went to Grimaldi's for dinner in Brooklyn and we walked all the way back. Over the Brooklyn Bridge, which is always beautiful...the buildings in the Manhattan skyline look like they're strung with jewels (but why are those office lights still on?) and then up, up, up past Canal and Houston till we got to our apartment. He estimated that we walked 5 1/2 miles total. I was really hungry by the time we got back and I had a bowl of cherries mixed with watermelon chunks.

Happy 4th of July, everyone. We are not going away this year...we'll be seeing Batman Begins tomorrow with our friend Mike. I figure that name is common enough that he doesn't need an alias. We didn't make any plans to go away. However, I'm starting to get an itch to go to San Francisco. I love Grimaldi's (Zagat always ranks it as the best pizzeria in the city) but it was loud, loud, loud. Most of the time I'm energized by Manhattan but today it seemed loud, pushy, full of clumsy people. I'm sure I will love it again soon. But San Fran is beckoning. When we are there we will have banana bread French toast at Mama's on Washington Square. I love the quality of San Fran light and how the Victorian houses look like wedding cakes dotted on the hills.

I'm reading "Goodnight Steve McQueen" by Louise Wener. Sort of High Fidelity-lite (though I know High Fidelity is nice pop fiction in the first place).

Took notes on a book today called "No More Rejections." The author, whose last name is Orr, makes a lot of distinctions between literary and popular fiction. For instance, it's okay to end a literary story with ambiguity or even defeat for the protagonist. In popular fiction, the protagonist must prevail somehow, and no ambiguity is allowed in the ending. Interestingly, female readers like it if a heroine relies on her own resources and is not "rescued". Although, if a hero and heroine work together against some overwhelming force, that's OK too. And apparently, 80-85% of fiction readers are women. This is a trend that has held steady over the years.

Comments

Anonymous said…
interesting, 80-85% is not what i expected...bb sneered at me for mentioning reading once...the old poop.
Bearette said…
hehe, she is bitter...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!