Another good quote

I'm poaching from the blog of another, but this quote is too good to resist.

"You should feel, when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountaintop, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten - happy, absorbed, and quietly putting one bead on after another."

-- Brenda Ueland

She wrote a book called, "If You Want to Write: A Book About Art, Independence and Spirit." I haven't read it. I did like Elizabeth Berg's writing guide, Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True. She talks about something similar, how you should have fun while you're writing. She knew a guy who told enchanting stories aloud, then sat down at the typewriter and all this stiff crap poured out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yay! I love that quote, and have put both books on my wishlist. You inspire me with all that summer reading, btw. I was hoping for a similar spree, but I'll be engrossed in Harry Potter for a few more days.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!