I'm still enjoying The Food of Love, but parts of it are hard to stomach if you're a vegetarian. It's a Cyrano de Bergerac-type story where Bruno, a talented chef, makes food for Tommaso to feed Laura. Laura is fed up with mommy's boy Italian men and will only date one who can cook. (Why she thinks this is a magic panacea is anyone's guess.) Tommaso overhears her saying this on a cell phone to her friend and before you can say "Cyrano," he has enlisted Bruno's help in cooking behind the scenes when Tommaso has Laura over to his apartment.

I love the descriptions of the "dolci" Bruno makes (mmm), but at one point Bruno (who of course is in love with Laura himself) decides to cook the "real Rome" for Laura. This means organ meats and ox tail, and other bits and pieces of the animal that are called offal. Well, I thought this was disgusting. Laura asks Tommaso what's in everything they're eating, and he gets grossed out too. Apparently in Rome they eat the offal automatically, and don't think about where it came from.

When D and I were in Rome last summer, after I left my law job, we had a good meal at a vegetarian place whose name I can't remember. The gelato was awesome at this other place. We heard that the Pope ordered a vat of chestnut ("marron") gelato from there on a regular basis.

The street musicians there liked to play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on their accordions.

BTW, our trip to San Fran is arranged. I think it's August 1st to August 8th. Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!