Gross biking incident

Tonight D and I went out to the Hudson River bike path. He went north, I went south and all went smoothly until I was on my way back to the apartment.

Although the path itself is quite nice, there is no beautiful way to get there, and you have to pass a strip club, etc. Anyway, while I was on that savory block, an ENORMOUS rat shot out in front of my bike. I braked and swerved to the left. Somehow I fell off my bike and fell onto the pavement. Two bouncers and a woman who may or may not have been a stripper were staring at me, open-mouthed.

A man who was walking nearby with a red case in his hand said, "Are you all right? You shoulda run him over. You woulda killed him!"

That's what I was trying not to do :) And was the rat even grateful? Probably not. :(

My right palm was pretty much unscathed. My left palm has one of those cuts with dirt and blood mixed in. I just washed it and applied about a pound of antibiotic ointment and a band-aid. Couldn't the rat have just waited? I'm vegetarian, for pete's sake. I would have done it no harm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bearette24! I'm so glad you are ok and were not more injured or otherwise done in by rats! Oddly, Betty, Charlie and I were strolling in Hudson River Park around the same time.
Anonymous said…
I agree with Capybaras. It was very kind of you to swerve. I'm sorry you got hurt, though!
Anonymous said…
The things we vegetarians will do for rodents! Once a group of students rushed to the reference desk to tell me there was a mouse under a study carrel. I spent thirty minutes chasing and wrangling the mouse into a trash can while the students cheered. He was released into the woods, badly shaken but otherwise okay.
jules said…
Ew RATS - my worst silly fear! I know exactly where you were. I'm assuming it was still light out?! How huge we talkin'?! Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly! I admit I haven't taken my bike out in years. If that was me, my 1st concern would be where is the rat and to get off the ground as quickly as possible! I imagine I'd barley be able to ride a bike afterward!
Bearette said…
Pretty huge. Maybe the size of a little kid's foot? It was dark but the strip club street (28th, between 11th and 10th, I think) was well-lit. I wish there was a nicer way to get to the bike path :(

Haven't seen any rats since though.
Bearette said…
I'll never see the cookies quite the same way again ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!