I saw the grossest thing involving a homeless person today (something he was doing). I won't elaborate, except to say I've been in the city since May 1999 and this is by far the grossest thing I've seen. Ugh. And I could have avoided it. When yoga was over, I walked downtown instead of up, in search of a "Kiss My Face" oatmeal mask. CVS no longer carries it. I was looking for a particular place. I found a place that might have been it, but I wasn't sure. I decided to cut my losses and turn back. And then...I saw IT. I tried to feel compassion but I was also shocked and horrified. And I did feel sorry for him.

Anyway, yoga was good today. It was taught by B, who has kind of a relaxed, flowing, poetic style. Then she springs little surprises. At one point she had us hook our right leg over our shoulder, then lean forward and balance on our hands (both feet off the ground). Then we crossed our ankles. Then I fell! But it was cool being up there for a few seconds.

Still nervous about the info meeting. I don't even know why. If they turn me down, it's not the end of the world. I guess it's just that I'm so passionate and excited about yoga.

Anyway, here is a recipe that D loves. D is DRUNK right now. He usually never drinks but he had a few mojitos too many at an office party. I was invited, but a) I had yoga and b) there was someone there I didn't want to see.

So here is the recipe. This is real comfort food and it's almost impossible to have just one helping.

1 pound ziti
1 1/2 c. tomato sauce (I like Paul Newman's marinara, and the proceeds after taxes go to charity :)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp dry red wine
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 c. grated Muenster cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook the ziti in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a colander and place in a large bowl. Pour on the olive oil and toss to coat well. Let cool.
2. Combine the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, red wine, and pepper. Pour onto the pasta and mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Spread half the pasta in a large, shallow baking dish, such as a 9 X 13 (3-quart) Pyrex. Sprinkle on half the Muenster cheese. Spread on the remaining pasta, then top with the remaining Muenster cheese and finally the Parmesan cheese. Cover the dish with foil.
5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (I opt for 30, because we have a hot oven and I hate dried-out ziti) . Remove foil and bake 5 additional minutes.

Also, you can prepare the dish in advance...although I never do. Just bring to room temperature before baking. The source is Jeanne Lemlin's Main Course Vegetarian Pleasures.

Now, if I can just get this image out of my mind...and get through the meeting tomorrow...

Also, I just started TTYL (IM-speak for Talk to You Later) by Lauren Myracle. It's a YA book and seems cute and fun so far. I have never IM'd in my life, being an old-fashioned email person, but it seems like a groovy book.

Au revoir...

Oh, and I patted a black cocker spaniel today. The owner explained that he likes to eat frozen vegetables, like broccoli and cauliflower. "They're like vegetable popsicles," she explained. She also said the dog was mixed with "something big," because he had big paws!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!