D and I had the best dinner ever. Well, one of the best dinners ever. We went to Angelica Kitchen in the East Village. It's this really good vegan restaurant. We're both vegetarian, so we eat dairy, but occasionally we cross over to the Other Side.

They have campily named specials. On tonight's roster was Tomato Jefferson, a lasagna with onions, mushrooms, spinach, sundried tomato sauce and a tofu-cheese topping (which really just tastes like a slightly less rich version of cheese). The lasagna was surrounded with little sugar snap peas and came with a small chicory salad drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. We also had cups of carrot-ginger soup, which was awesome and very gingery. For dessert D had a cup of chocolate mousse topped with 3 cherries (I had 2) and I had a strawberry pecan muffin. I read somewhere that eating pecans is similar to eating butter in terms of fat content, but I love them so I have them every once in a while. I haven't had dessert in days so I figured a little indulgence was OK.

We skipped the fireworks on the east side. We would have had to hang around in that neighborhood for an hour after eating in order to see them, or else go home and trek all the way back. It didn't seem to make sense. D said we could bike over, but I decided not to. I patted a Pekinese and a toy Yorkshire terrier on the way home.

Today I worked out at the gym with my iPod. The silver-haired guy next to me, sans headphones, looked at me strangely as I sang along to "Blood Roses" (Tori Amos) and "Jump (For My Love)" (Pointer Sisters). I love the scene in "Love Actually" where Hugh Grant, as the prime minister of England, dances along to that song and gets caught by one of his staff.

I finished "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris and I was kind of disappointed. I liked "Naked" and "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" better.

I'm getting lots of recipes from blogs. Pasta salad, hummus and pumpkin chocolate chip squares, to name a few. Yay!

Comments

Lora said…
That lasagne sounds wonderful! Vegetarian dishes are always so much more interesting flavor wise than meat dishes.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, but I had a weak period early in my relationship with my husband and, well, I haven't been a vegetarian for a while. Part of me wants to go back to that again, but part of me isn't sure. The part that isn't sure just isn't quite ready to put my foot down about it.
Anonymous said…
So, not recipes so much, but as I know you'll appreciate another savvy, food-conscious vegetarian New Yorker's finds, you should checkout www.sallivates.com.

Sorry I know this is my nth post to you today. But I'm an obsessed newbie. It's like I just discovered pie or something. Vegan pie.
Anonymous said…
Hey Lora!
Hang in there! You have the power to reclaim your palate! I was veg for 10 years, then slipped back to fish for a while when I started dating my fiance. After a trip to India I realized I was a veg at heart and so recommitted, and before I knew it he'd followed suit. If you need some moral support, you've got it! (I just saw myself in you for a moment and thought I should put my silly penny in. Plus, you have good taste in music.) :-) Good luck!
Anonymous said…
yum yum!
bdogg_mcgee said…
Yum, that lasagna sounds fabulous...actually, everything you mentioned sounds fabulous! I might have to create it and maybe I can sneak in the tofu cheese and my husband won't notice!

Aren't iPods the greatest? It's been my saving grace on my two hour drive commute each day.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!