So writing class was a little intense last night. One of the girls had written some pages, the start of a novel, before, but then she changed her mind and decided to go in a new direction. She wrote about a girl who was talking with her boyfriend, who was much older, and the boyfriend started asking probing questions about the girl's best friend. The girl replied that her best friend was on break from school, and the boyfriend suggested that the three of them go on vacation together. (Can you see where this was going?) The girl, not seeing where it was going, clasped her hands together and said, "That would be so wonderful," etc. Then the guy started saying lewd things about her best friend and saying he wanted the best friend "between us, just like this." The girl's "days and nights became blurred" and she retreated to her bed.

After reading this, I get to class and the girl starts saying, all starry-eyed, that the man and woman are in love, etc., and some older woman leaves her husband for the guy, and the two women become friends, and "there is an interest between them, not necessarily sexual." Not able to contain myself any longer, I was like, "This guy is a CREEP" and a lively debate ensued. Turns out the author of the story dated a 60-year-old when she was 24 and is fascinated with Lolita.

I just found it unbelievable that the girl in the story would put up with this. Another girl in the class thought the guy in the story needs to be younger (in the story, the girl is in her 20s and the guy is in his 50s) or else have something very compelling about him to explain why all these women (not just one) are into him. The author explained that she didn't grow up in America, etc. and was frankly surprised by the other girl's reaction.

I ended up walking part of the way home with the author, who was nice enough to share her umbrella with me. But I was irritated! I was thinking, more likely than not, that the book is "faction" and she has put up with all kinds of crap from pervy older men. Then I talked about it with D and how the whole thing had a dom-sub feeling and he said, "You know, she's probably just very submissive." Then we decided that most women who date much older men (20-year age difference or greater) are probably submissive, with the exception of Anna Nicole Smith, who was just into her husband's money.

I guess I don't really understand the appeal of submissiveness. When my parents met, my mom was 23 and my dad was 33, but it was very much an equal relationship. I guess there are all kinds of preferences out there and all kinds of different thought. I did like the movie Secretary, but I felt that Maggie Gyllenhaal's character was kind of feisty and more into the sub/dom relationship as a kinky thing, rather than being truly passive.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sometimes it seems like these young girls aren't submissive at all, but are willing to act that way if it means money, cars, trips, etc. All I know is that I couldn't do it!
Bearette said…
Me neither!
bdogg_mcgee said…
Hmmm...I think that maybe women who date much older men might have had a crap home life where their father wasn't always around and they're compensating now by searching for the elusive "father figure."

I don't understand the whole submissive thing, either. When it comes to marriage/relationship matters, if DH tried to tell me what to do, I would tell him where to stick it.
Bearette said…
Hehe ;) I agree.

Interestingly, the girl who wrote the story never really knew her mother. I don't know about her relationship with her dad, though.
Lisa said…
I can kind of see the appeal. Guys in their twenties are often not high on the maturity ladder, whereas girls are often already thinking about things like getting married, having kids, starting a home. They look around and see that the guys their age are not husband/father material and/or are not interested in settling down quite yet.

At the same time, a lot of girls in their twenties are anxious about all the responsibilities of grown up life---having to pay their own way in life, struggling to make decisions, facing situations they feel unprepared for.

And, bam! An older gentleman comes along. He's sophisticated, well-mannered, and interesting in a way that guys her own age aren't. And he takes care of her---making her decisions, paying for trips and dinners and such---taking away all that anxiety.

And no, this isn't from personal experience.

But it does sound like the girl in your class needs to make a better case in the story for the relationship.
Bearette said…
I agree about the story. The guy in it was telling the girl, "Don't ask questions, we're playing a game and when we play a game, you follow the rules" and gripping the back of her neck.

I also agree that security and comfort can be reassuring, but I can't wrap my head around the idea of being dominated like the girl in the story. To each her own, I guess.
Lisa said…
That just means that that the author wasn't doing a very good job. Because even if you can't imagine yourself doing it, you should be able to understand why the character would. It's the author's job to convince you of that.
Anonymous said…
It's kind of sick, but I do understand the desire to be submissive. Like some others have said, it's nice to be taken care of, to have someone else make decisions (therefore, take the blame). It's not a healthy way to live, but there are plenty of people out there not living a healthy life.

As for the author and her story, I think that the story could turn out to be very interesting if she wasn't trying to disguise it as much. If she tells it from the girl's p.o.v. and lets the reader inside her way of thinking, then her readers will see that it's the girl who is a little messed up and the guy is just taking advantage of that.
Bearette said…
I think I know what you mean...like if they have authority in their work, or a strong presence, but they're not telling you what to do.
Caro said…
If you put up with a lot of crap from your Dad when you're young, he has taught you that is how men are supposed to treat you. A normal give and take relationship is very hard after that, because you don't know what is normal. Still, the book sounds like it stunk!
You know what I think? She has a fascination with older men and she's looking for someone to tell her that it's okay. I'm not sure whether or not it's a submissive thing.

As for The Secretary, my wife and I both liked it, but she wasn't totally submissive because if you remember, she forced him to not fire her. That wasn't exactly a submissive scene.
Lora said…
Think Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, it just gives me the chills.
Bearette said…
ZS - Exactly. She was definitely feisty. I guess it was based on a short story by Mary Gaitskill where the character really was super-passive. But they probably thought that a spirited heroine would be more appealing to a movie audience. (And they were right!)

Lora - I couldn't agree more. That couple really scares me. And now she's pregnant...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!