Notes from the one who can't sleep

I have insomnia, so I'm going to play What's in My Reading Pile?

I've got the following from the library:

Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner. I usually hate Red Dress Ink books, but my writing teacher says it's the only good one. The premise does sound pretty funny. It's about a genius with no social skills. Apparently she makes a joke about the metric system on a first date to convince the guy that she's not so serious. For some reason this tickles me ;) I used to be excessively, perhaps rudely bookish as a child. I always brought a book to the family Christmas party (a big shebang; they rent out a hall) until I was 12 or so, at which point my mother gently suggested that I stop.

Two for Joy by Patricia Scanlan. This woman could be Maeve Binchy's cousin. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to have caught on in America. I like her though.

Liquor by Poppy Z. Brite. I renewed this one from my previous pile. It looks like a New Orleans murder mystery with some cooking thrown in. It seems like everything in N'awlins revolves around food. Unfortunately it's not very vegetarian (or so I've heard).

Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson. Kate is firmly back in my good graces after the awesome Case Histories.

Undead and Unappreciated by Mary Janice Davidson. This is a trashy vampire series, I enjoy it greatly. The books take about an hour to finish.

I also have Eating Heaven by Jenna Shortridge (I think that's her name) in my "purchased, but not yet read" pile. I think I'll read the library books first.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just started Amy Tan's latest, Saving Fish From Drowning. Reviews have been mixed. I hope it's not a disappointment like the new J Weiner and John Irvings were...
Bearette said…
Oh no! I usually love her books too. I have it on hold at the library. Let me know how you like it...
Caro said…
Amazon reccomended "Undead and Unappreciated" to me since I had ordered Charlaine Harris vampire books before. Maybe I'll put it on my wish list.

Maybe you don't have insomnia. Maybe you are just wired to be up at night and sleep until eleven. My husband is wired like that. It makes the eight to five world difficult.
Bearette said…
Maybe. It seems to come and go though. Sometimes I wake up at 9 or 10. I think I am a night person though.

I think you would like the vampire books. they're fun.
Anonymous said…
I agree with Carolyn - "undead and unappreciated" sounds like rollicking fun!
Oh boy. If I started rattling off the books that I bought that I haven't gotten around to reading, it would go on for days. Right now, I have two zombie books in front of me by Brian Keene. A co-worker told me I have to read them. I'll shoot for this week.
Anonymous said…
Your writing teacher is so smart - who is this person?

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!