I wrote a bit in my paper journal today. As part of our "asana homework," we had to do at least 15 minutes of sun salutations and the poses of the week. It was fun structuring the practice myself, but I found I will need to concentrate on doing things in the same order on each side. I am very ENFP, so structure and discipline are just not my strong suit.

Which may be why I am chafing at the bit with all the rules they are imposing. I am making my peace with them (slowly). The teacher explained yesterday to all of us that if we miss any classes, any mentor meetings or buddy meetings, we will not be certified. So yes, it's very clear that they're super serious about this, but I have never been in a program (college, law school, bar review, writing classes) where you are not allowed to miss a session. I immediately got panicky and thought, what if I get my days mixed up and miss a mentor meeting? So I got the bright idea of offering to have the mentor meetings at my apartment, although I don't know if that will happen. That way, I can't miss them! And they'll be very convenient.

My buddy meetings are also going to be at my apartment, although freakishly early, because my buddy teaches in New Jersey and has limited times when she can be in the city.

All these changes are pretty stressful, so if anyone has good suggestions on dealing with stress or anger, let me know! Yoga itself is helpful, but unfortunately a lot of the rest of my time is cluttered with bureaucracy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"O Seer, as you sever every desirous attachment and cleanse the mind of distortions, take heed of those fellow-travellers on your path whose own greatest attachments are to requirements, curricula, and scheduling. For the Seer's only curriculum is the Ultimate Principle of Yoga, and his only schedule is the eternal present."

_Patanjali_, 7th c. AD

--Lobo
Bearette said…
Hehe :) I actually have the yoga sutras of Patanjali in my reading pile! It's one of our assigned books. Although I have a feeling he doesn't really talk about curricula and scheduling ;)
Anonymous said…
Well it depends on which translation you're using 8)

--Lobo
Anonymous said…
I remember how I loved the cushion of the 1 or 2 "missable" classes for each course when I was in school. Sounds like yoga school is very strict!
Bearette said…
It is. I'm starting to get used to it though. The first weekend...rough!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!