I had a great yoga class today. I had low expectations, because my knee is scraped up and I expected it to be tender. But I put two overlapping Band-Aids on it, took 2 Tylenol before class, and honestly forgot about it (after the first hands-and-knees pose). This is the intermediate/advanced class, it takes me to the limits of my abilities and I love it. The teacher was talking about ecstasy (not the drug) and how Patanjali (a sage) said that it's the good experiences that cause suffering. I buy that completely. I am cursed/blessed with an excellent memory and sometimes I look back on good times and get wistful. But yoga takes me out of that into some different place altogether and it really was kind of like a rave (not that I've ever been to one). Anyway. I paid attention to the teacher's sequencing, which was all over the place and not like Desikachar's (this book that we're reading). This teacher did: standing poses, pigeon, one forward bend, inversion, arm balances, backbends, forward bends, shoulderstand, then savasana.

Here's what we had for din-din:

Baked Couscous with Spinach and Pine Nuts (thanks, Jeanne Lemlin)

1 c couscous
1 1/2 c boiling water
1/2 t salt
1/4 c olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, diced
1 28-oz can tomatoes, chopped and drained (reserve 1/3 c juice)
1 t dried basil
1/3 c pine nuts
5 c loosely packed fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves torn into small pieces
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 c grated Muenster cheese

1. Combine the couscous, boiling water and salt in a large bowl. Cover with a plate. Let sit 5 min, then fluff with a fork.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onion 10 min, or until tender. Add the drained tomatoes and cook 10 min more, stirring frequently.
3. Stir the tomato mixture into the couscous and mix in the reserved tomato juice, basil, pine nuts, raw spinach and pepper.
4. Spread half the couscous mixture in a shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish. (I use a 9 X 12.) Sprinkle on the cheese, then top with the remaining couscous. Cover the dish with foil and bake 25 min, or until hot and bubbly.

The only problem with this recipe is it takes much longer than one would think. I see the 25 minutes and think, oh, it's quick and easy. But you have the chopping and 20 minutes of sauteeing first. So allow lots of time!

Comments

Bearette said…
Bear is being very silly and it will not be tolerated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you had a good yoga class. I'm a little concerned, though, about your teacher's comment that it is the good experiences that cause suffering? What exactly does that mean?
Bearette said…
AT, you keep popping up under different names! Let's say you had a fabulous day a year ago and nothing great had happened since then...looking back might make you said. So the trick is to enjoy fun things when they happen, not get depressed when they don't, and realize that good times can happen anytime if you're open to it. At least that's my take on it.
Bearette said…
"Said" was a typo..oopsie.
Anonymous said…
I'm still not sure about this concept of good experiences causing suffering. Is it that we have a tendancy to compare everything to our best experiences and then feel emotional pain when our current experience fails to match up with our best experience? It seems to me that suffering because of nostalgia is actually the opposite of living in the moment.

Looking forward to living in the moment of tennis, tomorrow, by the way.
Anonymous said…
Like how going to Italy for two weeks is causing me to suffer at work today? ;-)
Bearette said…
Exactly! Liz has got it. ;)

Jorge/Daniel, you are right that the nostalgic suffering is the opposite of living in the moment. That's why yoga helps counter it, because yoga tells you to be in the moment.

I'm looking forward to tennis too :)
Anonymous said…
By the way, you might enjoy a subscription to Vegetarian Times. It has great recipes.
Bearette said…
I used to subscribe to that! Maybe I should go back.
Anonymous said…
"It's the good experiences that cause suffering... and sometimes I look back on good times and get wistful." Is wistfulness the same as suffering? Maybe it is. It's an interesting idea. I tend to think of hunger, disease, pain, isolation or disclocation, death, and homelessness as suffering. But maybe suffering is a mindset, and if you can experience any of these misfortunes without wistfulness, you will not suffer. I was certainly struck by a number of the hurricane victims I heard on the radio who talked about their anger but said that because of their faith, they were planning to rebuild their lives and not worry about their losses. It all comes down to your definition of suffering - is suffering a response to physical pain, or is it a mindset? It's interesting, to me, to consider the possibility that suffering is a mindset.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!