Don't you hate it when you buy a new cookbook, and the first recipe you make from it just isn't good? All that trust. Dashed, just like that. That's what happened with Serene Cuisine. I made a spinach/cottage cheese side dish and it was bland.

So I made dishes from other sources tonight. I made a tofu, broccoli and peanut sauce dish from Crystal's blog, and I made a potato side dish from World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey. She runs Dawat in Manhattan. In case you didn't know, I love potatoes. So I really dug the side dish, even though I had to bastardize it somewhat. I decided to make it on the spur of the moment, and I didn't want to go to the grocery store again. So I omitted the peas and most of the tomatoes (grating up some grape tomatoes instead). Here's the recipe:

3 T peanut or canola oil
1 med onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 1-in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into minute dice
2 med tomatoes, grated
1 3/4 to 2 t salt
1/2 to 1 t cayenne
2 t garam masala
1/4 t ground turmeric
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-in chunky dice
1 lb boiling potatoes (the yellow waxy kind), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 c defrosted frozen peas

Heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. When hot, put in the onion. Stir-fry for 4-5 min. Put in the ginger and stir for another min. Add the grated tomatoes, salt, cayenne, garam masala and turmeric. Stir-fry for 3-4 min. Add the carrots and potatoes. Stir for a min. Add 1/2 c water, stir and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook gently for 15-20 min, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the peas, stir and cover again. Cook another 4-5 min.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a yummy-sounding recipie!
Bearette said…
I just finished it off ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!