Today was our third day in San Fran - we're heading back on the 8th. I went to a yoga place today. It was a bit of a pain getting there. I guess I'm spoiled by Manhattan where I have a yoga studio that's a 12-minute walk away. This place was a subway ride plus a 15-minute walk away.

There was a male teacher who whipped his shirt off and invited us to go on a retreat to Italy in October with him. There were only 3 people in the class. This was also a change from Manhattan where the classes are often packed. The class was also a little slower than I like. But it made me feel more peaceful anyway...although I knew D had accidentally forgotten to return my map. I got home OK anyway.

There's a Ghirardelli place nearby. Maybe I will get some chocolates for J as a thank-you for her yoga recommendation. I would get my friend AT a thank-you too but he's in Spain :)

D showed me a picture of a puppy that was cloned in Korea. He's named Snuppy (Seoul National University Puppy).

We explored the southern part of San Fran today. It's flatter and has a lot of taquerias. We both got the California veggie burrito, which had broccoli, zucchini and other vegetables, plus black beans, rice, and mango salsa. It was very good.

Tonight we will probably try Millennium, a somewhat fancy vegetarian restaurant. D tends to like fancy places while I opt for casual...but sometimes he picks someplace really memorable. For example, the three-star Michelin restaurant in Florence last summer. It was over the top...they wheeled out a three-tier cart of cheeses at one point...but probably worth a visit if you are ever in the area. It was called Enotecca Piniciorri.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We are going to Italy next month, so I'll put Enotecca Piniciorri on my list of possibilities for Florence. Also going to Venice, Rome, and Naples, so I'd love any other recommendations, esp for veggies!
Bearette said…
That's great! I hope you have an awesome time. In Rome there's a good vegetarian restaurant called Margutta Vegetariano.

Also, Giolitti in Rome has the best gelato. I liked the fruit flavors, while D dug the chocolate.

There was one other place in Florence where I went on my birthday last year which was really good. I can check my Florence book when I get home and see if I can find it.

I didn't go to Naples; I did go to Venice, but I can't remember any of the restaurants. We stayed at some place called the Grand Dogei (or something like that) which had a good restaurant inside.

I also remember having a hollowed-out cantaloupe filled with cantaloupe pieces and vanilla ice cream. It sounds odd, but it worked :)
Lisa said…
I'll wrack my brains and see if I can come up with some good places in Rome. I know there were a bunch that I went to, but so many of them I wound up at by accident. Insalata Ricci is kind of a Roman chain---very good with lots of choices. Also check the Web site for The American (www.theamericanmag.com). They have a dining guide covers several cities.

I have to disagree on the best gelato. The best place is Old Bridge. It's kind of hard to find--between the entrance to the Vatican museum and the entrance to Piazza S. Pietro on that side---and it's mostly locals. Totally worth finding.
Lisa said…
If you are willing to find places to eat by chance, I recommend looking at the map for the itty bitty piazzas that are at least a half dozen blocks from any tourist sites. They'll have the local stuff.
Anonymous said…
Thanks! You guys are awesome. We are definitely trying to avoid the tourist traps, so the itty-bitty piazza tip is a good one. Any recommendations welcome.
Anonymous said…
I''ll be back. Later :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!