Not too much going on today. D and I had lazy lasagna for dinner, preceded by mesclun salad with lemon-tahini dressing, and followed by strawberry yogurt with a little granola. A little more than I usually eat when I cook at home, but what can I say, it was tasty.

The nastiness and humidity seems to have dissipated, leaving an autumn feeling in the air, which I always welcome. But it's a little sad. I went out on the terrace to read The Au Pairs, which is failing a little in its trash mission. Summer Boys was more successful trash. Which is not to say it's bad, it just could be better. Summer Boys and Summer Boys 2 were so good that I literally couldn't put them down. I read Summer Boys 2 in its entirety on the plane ride back from SF.

My college roommate may or may not visit this weekend. She called me when I was in San Fran and explained she had music camp and could stop by in NYC on the way back. She lives in DC. I apologized, saying I had an obligation but it would have been great to see her. Now the obligation is canceled, but I haven't been able to reach her at music camp. Her cell phone seems to be shut off - my calls go straight to voicemail. So I called her parents and left a message to see if they have the number of the music camp. We'll see. The last time I saw her was on New Year's Eve, when she and her boyfriend came to the city and had a rockin' time. (Sorry, I just wanted to use that word.) Her boyfriend's brother lives in Hell's Kitchen and is a wine expert. His job involves going to different wine shops and tasting the wares. I like it when people are really into things.

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
lol!

I'm reading these horribly cheesy "historical" teen romances by Avon Books. They're so much fun and so short that I can usually finish one in a day.

That lazy lasagna sounds good!!
Bearette said…
Oh, it's really good. In case you didn't see the recipe on Crystal's blog (it's an older entry), you just take 1/2 lb of egg noodles, boil them, then mix them with 1 1/2 cups marinara and 1 c. low-fat cottage cheese. You can warm up the marinara and cottage cheese over low heat in a skillet. Then you sprinkle 1/3 c shredded mozzarella over the whole thing and you're done :)
Bearette said…
Bdogg, I just did a search on Amazon for "avon historical young adult" and got some results like "Nicola and the Viscount" by Meg Cabot. I like Meg Cabot ;) Some of them have truly hilarious titles, like "Samantha and the Cowboy." :)
bdogg_mcgee said…
Yeah, I just finished reading "Nicola and the Viscount!" They were selling them at Half Price Books (a wonderful bookstore that got its start in Dallas) for $.25 each, so I bought all they had. Right now I'm reading "Miranda and the Warrior." Ahh, bliss!

I make something similar to that lazy lasagna, except I use ricotta cheese and bowtie pasta! I also bake mine in the oven for about 20 minutes and get the mozzarella all nice and crusty.
Anonymous said…
I'll take "lazy" anything today! Is rainy and gray here in DC area... same in NYC?
Bearette said…
Same here. The building we call "Mini-Me" (because it's smaller than the Empire State Building, and usually lit up in the same colors at night) is entirely covered in fog.

I might take Nicola and the Viscount out of the library :)
Lisa said…
Send some of that gray and rainy down south! Austin is going through our bazillionth heat wave of the summer. Me and my bank account can't take it.

I miss DC so much!
bdogg_mcgee said…
I know what you mean, Lisa. I'm up here in Dallas and made sure I went to the store before about 11 am today when it got too hot to be outdoors! My electric bill was over $200 last month! That and gas prices....sheesh.
bdogg_mcgee said…
Hey Bearette,

If you want, I'd be happy to mail you those books. I finished reading them and would like to see them at in a good home! :)
Bearette said…
Thanks Bdogg! That's really sweet of you. I'll email you my mailing address. If you change your mind, I totally understand ;) I know it's a pain to mail things.

Lisa, I feel your pain...in NYC, air conditioning just recently changed from an absolute necessity to an option. I hope that happens in Austin (and Dallas!) soon.
jules said…
Ah, the humidity will be back this weekend I hear, with a vengence. Then it goes back to lovely weather for the week. Perhaps a trek to the beach is in order for Sunday before it rains!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!