San Fran, continued

La, I'm back. I've been remiss with email, because 1) I have limited computer time; the DSL in the room didn't work out and 2) if I get rejected from yoga school, I'll find out via email. If I get in, they'll call. So I've been kinda avoiding email. But I'll check in.

Things are still really nice in San Fran. It was warmer today, and we were better prepared for the temperature anyway. We went to brunch at Mama's on Washington Square. It was only slightly marred by a really dumb girl ahead of us in line who combined "Oh my gosh," "like," and "awesome" in every sentence. I've never heard anyone whose sentences were so full of nothing. Anyway. The food was delicious! I had my standby banana bread French toast, which wasn't as decadent as I remembered. It had sliced bananas on top. D had the "children's favorite" omelette (or Momelette, as they're called).

Afterward we went up an incredibly steep hill to Coit Tower, where an unintelligible man with a thick accent worked the elevator, and we looked at San Fran spread out beneath us, separated by a panel of glass. Then we went to Greens, Deborah Madison's terrific vegetarian restaurant. We split black bean chili with jack cheese and creme fraiche. Then I had red chard ravioli with shallots, pine nuts, parmesan and roasted garlic. We didn't make it to the Golden Gate Bridge, which we're always resolving to walk across. I think we walked about ten miles today.

We had dinner at Caffe delle Stelle (cafe of stars). They had bread with a delicious tomato sauce (I think bread with olive oil is played out) and bubbly water. I had a salad with greens, gorgonzola and walnuts, and "zuccati" (pasta stuffed with pumpkin). D had tortellini with a cream sauce and peas, which was really good. He stopped me after I had a couple :)

We went to Washington Mutual so D could withdraw money and the teller said that he thought New York was much more metropolitan. He seemed bored with San Fran. I don't know why. The air is really clean and the houses are beautiful.

I like the Hotel Nikko, where we're staying. It's a Japanese hotel with a pool under a skylight and a gym. You can get massages. There's also a room with two wooden slabs on top of black stones. I don't know if the stones heat up or what. They have green tea soap in the bathrooms, which is a nice touch.

I kind of want to move here. I probably won't though.

Comments

Janet said…
Oooh, your trip sounds so fabulous! We have only been there once and talked about moving there for about a minute, too.
Anonymous said…
Sounds so fun! I'm so envious about your meal at Greens...

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!