D and I went to S's apt for a movie night. He is one of Mike's friends and has one of those huge projection screens. Lamentably, the movie was "Shaolin Soccer" (awful) but a good time was had by all.

I brought my pumpkin chocolate chip squares and they were a raving success. I gave them a test drive at yoga, giving them to several people, because I thought I had a few too many. One of the front desk girls said, "It was divine" (after I came out of class and she had eaten the square). Apparently baked goods are quite the icebreaker. I got into conversations with 2 strangers and found out that one of them used to live in MA, like me. She told me they are contemplating putting up a statue of Elizabeth Montgomery in Salem (known for its witchcraft trials). I said, "They must not be into that." A woman nearby, visiting from North Dakota, asked why. I explained that New Englanders are set in their ways, and the other Massachusettsian laughed knowingly. The North Dakota woman seemed very nice, though she has back pain and had knee surgery. I imagine many of the poses are painful or difficult for her.

Anyway, the party was fun. A weird thing, though, was that a lot of the women were in the Junior League. (The party was on the Upper East Side.) One of them came up to me and asked if I was in it as well. I was like, what's that? She said with a straight face, "Wealthy Eastsiders." I laughed and said no, I live on the west side. The east side is cleaner but the west side has more personality. Plus, I get the screaming meemies when I go to the east side (except for the East Village, which is edgy and bohemian) and see all the suits. It brings me back to a darker time ;)

There was a cute guy at the party. I always assume the dating scene is very easy for men in Manhattan, with the skewed male/female ratio, but apparently it's not.

And it must be said that S did all the cooking; his fiancee was not even there. I was impressed.

Comments

Bearette said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
I wish I had a party to attend last night... I could have used some fun!
Lora said…
I notice that you used a full name in this post which is unusual for you.

One of the things I love about baking is the way it gets people talking. And your right about the statue, maybe in a century or two, but I doubt they're ready for it yet.
Anonymous said…
"Shaolin Soccer" ruled. Repent!

--Lobo
Bearette said…
Oh God, Lobo. I guess the movie had some (mildly) amusing moments, but it's best enjoyed by those with a lobo-tomy. (Sorry - couldn't resist!)

Liz - The party was fun. If you lived in NY, you could have come along (and brought Alex) :)

Lora - I'll have to read it again! Maybe I mentioned Mike's name? I figured that name is so common, it's practically anonymous.

Liz and Lora - did you notice on Crystal's blog, there's a link to a cookbook, Baking in Small Batches? It looks really good. This way you can make 8 cookies instead of 2 dozen. I'm always nervous if I have a ton of dessert around the house. It's my Kryptonite.
Anonymous said…
Which blog is Crystal's?
Bearette said…
It's http://www.poco-cocoa.com.

Lots of recipes ;)
Anonymous said…
Shaolin Soccer Rocked!!..ok, I'm a little biased since I helped pick the movie..:)
Bearette said…
I think it's a guy movie :) So was that little preview thing!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!