Stir-fried tofu and vegetables hoisin

I never injure myself in a normal way. If someone asks me, "How'd you cut your palm?", I'd have to say: "By opening a bottle of cooking sherry." If they asked me about the cut on my other palm, from July, I'd have to say: "I swerved on my bike to avoid a rat."

On that note, here is a yummy recipe! I love how tofu gets along with everybody. I only use it in Asian recipes, though.

Stir-fried tofu and vegetables hoisin (from Vegetarian Classics by Jeanne Lemlin)

1/4 c hoisin sauce (you can use a nice natural brand that doesn't have Red #40; I like Roland brand)
2 T tamari soy sauce
1 T Chinese rice wine or sherry
1 T Asian sesame oil
4 T canola oil, divided
1 lb extra-firm tofu (I just used firm), cut into 1/2-inch slices and patted very dry, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes and patted very dry again. (To dry tofu, I actually prefer to put it between 2 plates with heavy cookbooks on top for 15 minutes or so. In the meantime, you can do other stuff.)
5-6 c tiny broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
3 T water
1 t minced fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 c hot cooked rice, made from 1 c raw rice (I like white basmati)

1. To make the sauce, combine the hoisin sauce, tamari, wine or sherry, and sesame oil. Set aside.
2. Over medium-high heat, heat 2 T canola oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok until very hot but not smoking. Add the tofu and let sit 1 minute or so to brown. Shake the skillet a few times to prevent sticking. Toss the tofu and cook until evenly golden all over. Remove to a platter.
3. Place the broccoli and red pepper in the skillet, toss, then add the water. Cover the pan and cook until all the water has evaporated and the broccoli is beginning to get tender yet is still quite crisp, about 3 min.
4. Make a well in the center of the pan and pour in the remaining 2 T canola oil. Add the ginger and garlic, stir a few seconds, then toss with the vegetables. Add the tofu and stir-fry until hot, about 1 min. Pour the sauce over the mixture and stir-fry 30 seconds. Serve over hot rice.

Tip (from the cookbook author): As with all stir-fried dishes, make sure you have all the ingredients laid out before you begin cooking. Have your rice completely cooked, covered, and kept warm over low heat before the stir-frying begins. Keep the skillet or wok very hot when stir-frying.

In defense of hoisin, I used to think it was nasty. When it's diluted and mixed with vegetables, however, it has a faintly sweet, mellow flavor. There were no leftovers, which is always a sure sign of a hit in this house (or apartment).

Comments

Molly said…
Ooh that sounds like it was pretty taste, I will have to give it a try!
Bearette said…
It was :) It doesn't make a huge portion either, which is always good.
Caro said…
Yummy. I'm trying the Thai recipe tomorrow night.
Bearette said…
Cool! I hope you like it.
Joe said…
This sounds good! Another reason for us to try more tofu! Thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!