Since I know you are all dying to know the outcome...

The maintenance man, a huge, jolly fellow, appeared around 4:15 pm. He asked for a safety pin; I gave him one. After a few minutes, he called me back into the kitchen, turned on each burner, and said, "Cool," after the flame leaped up each time.

Then he gave me a little lesson: "When you're cookin', stuff overflows," he said. "There are these little tiny holes. The stuff gets into the holes. Come see." He showed me how to yank up the cover of the stove and get the gunk out of the holes with a safety pin.

So I gave him a $5 tip.

Of course he had to call me "sweethaht" on the way out, but I think that was just his way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are these the holes where the flames come out? I have a gas stove too, so I'm curious.
Michelle said…
wait a minute...i mentioned that didn't I, Hubby getting cleaner in the burners and the gas couldn't get out.... whoa dude...who called it?
Lora said…
I'm sure the "sweethaht" was sincere, most people don't think to tip maintenance.

I read your other posts about the book and Now I"m scared. I normally love John Irving. I guess we'll see.
Bearette said…
:) You called it, Michelle!

Liz, I went to the oven again to check it out. I'm pretty sure he means these other dots. If you pry up the top of the stove with a spatula (sophisticated, I know), you'll see the four curved metal things, and the holes where the flames come out. Then, in a vertical line up the side of each metal thing, there are 3 dots. I think those are the ones he means. Of course, if there's crud in the holes where the flames come out, it can't hurt to clean there too :)

Lora, I usually love him too..."A Widow for One Year" was one of my favorites. I'm not sure what happened with him this time.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!