I am currently enjoying a late dinner of butter beans. The whole recipe calls for 2 cans of butter beans, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp coriander, 2 tsp canola oil, 1 1/2 c. of onion and 1 c. of salsa. You saute the onion in the oil, then add the coriander and cumin and toast the spices for a minute, then you add the salsa and simmer for 5, then you add the beans and simmer for 5. It's quite good. Courtesy of Moosewood New Classics.

I'm currently reading The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank. I just noticed when I was creating the link to Amazon that her books don't get the highest average rating there. It's too bad because I like her simple, unaffected Judy Blume-esque style. And she writes about stuff I'm interested in.

I got my birthday presents from my sister at the post office today. They arrived when I was in San Fran, got kicked back to the P.O., and waited there patiently for me. They were:

The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh (I love Indian books. I haven't read A Fine Balance, and now I'm afraid to because one reviewer on Amazon wrote: "The saddest, most depressing book ever," though she gave it 5 stars.)

Vegetarian Classics by Jeanne Lemlin. Jeanne is one of my favorite cooks. She's unpretentious, yet a little more sophisticated than Rachael Ray, and she's a sweet potato freak. What more could a girl ask for? "Classics" may sound stodgy, but I'm choosing to interpret it as: "really yummy recipes that will appeal to all or most vegetarians." I notice I have a bias when dog-earing recipes. I only mark a few salads, no appetizers, no desserts (I like them but I'm reluctant to have lots of them lying around the house), and then I dog-ear a ton of soups, pastas and curries. Also stir-fries. I want to try a stir-fry in Rachael Ray's cookbook that calls for apricot jam (I bought some today) and Chinese 5-spice powder. I don't think I'll find this unless I trek to an Asian supermarket in the East Village, so I'll make my own from Didi Emmons' recipe.

I've used Didi's first cookbook, Vegetarian Planet, so much that the spine has become unglued from the pages. The first editor's review on Amazon seem to mix it up with a cookbook by someone else, halfway through. But trust me, it's a great cookbook.

If anyone has a favorite cookbook, let me know!

Also, I have to pay my yoga school tuition tomorrow, and I'll get to pick up my reading list. Once I pay my tuition, all my yoga classes at that center are free! I'll also be assigned a "yoga buddy" and a mentor. I'll meet with each one once a week.

Comments

Lora said…
I'm a big Moosewood fan, especially thier earlier one's becaasue they talk a little bit more about the basics of cooking, especially vegetarian cooking.
Anonymous said…
Surreal is good! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!