Hangawi

We had dinner at Hangawi, which was excellent. They're Korean and vegan and very tasty. We went with P. It's his last night in the city before he goes on to further his education at Birkbeck, a school in London. The dorms are called colleges and he will be living in Goodenough College.

For an appetizer we shared some stuffed shiitake mushrooms (I am not always a fan of mushrooms, but these have a very good, cinnamon-like sauce) and combination pancakes, which include mung bean and leek pancakes. My entree was veggies in brown sauce, which may sound pedestrian but were quite crisp and tasty. For dessert we all had the carrot cake. The dessert plates have little poems on them about how drinking tea is better than getting drunk.

It was someone's birthday in the restaurant, so the waiters banged a gong and brought the birthday boy a long blue robe that caught P's fancy. P asked the waitress where he could get one and she said, "Korea." Then she told him he might be able to find one in Flushing, Queens.

After dinner we stopped at an Asian market in hopes of finding hijiki. They had many other kinds of seaweed, but none of that. I might try an Asian market on St. Mark's Place. I have a veggie burger recipe that calls for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing The 40-Year-Old Virgin. The guy in it, Steve Carell, is pretty funny.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The meal at Hangawi sounds super yummy. I had a great lunch (which is the main meal in Spain) today, too. I picked a random restaurant in Oviedo that had lots of people in it, and i totally lucked out. I had alubias with yummy sauce for my first course, and for my main dish, I had hake in garlic and tomato sauce. I don't think I have ever had hake in the United States before, but hake is extremely common here in Spain. And I have never tasted it better than I did today. And for dessert, I had a marzapan tart that was delectable. For dinner, I'll have a Spanish omlette sandwich. Not so yummy, but good enough for the train ride from Oviedo to Madrid.

Hope P has a great time at University!
Lisa said…
Ya'll are making me hungry! And jealous. My dinner last night was reheated pizza and day-old salad. Which is an approvement over my usual cereal dinner.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!