Tagged! (and a penne a la vodka recipe)

I got tagged by Kim. If you haven't checked out Kim's blog, you should. It's a fun read; she washes her flip-flops in the dishwasher and stuff ;)

Ten years ago, August 1995:

It was the summer after my sophomore year in college. I came back home to live with my mom and work as a legal assistant at a real estate law firm in Beverly, MA. (I know, the excitement is killing you already). The job was hideously boring. I mostly made copies of real estate closing documents all day. And typed quitclaim deeds. Anyway, I did share a room with a really cute, older lawyer. I turned 20 that summer and he arranged to get a Killer Chocolate Cake from a nearby bakery called Klink's on my birthday. Klink's is either closed now or they don't make the cake anymore. I think they're closed. Among the motley crew of characters at the firm was a woman who had been married 3 times at age 47. She was mad because she heard someone whispering about her once, "She's been married 4 times."

Five years ago, August 2000:

I was living with my boyfriend and working as a paralegal at a securities class action firm in NYC, but I was leaving for law school the next month. I was going to miss my friends. They included: a fun guy who did sculpture in college and shaved his eyebrows; a secretary who slept with one of the lawyers, and was artsy; and a woman from Switzerland who was 28 at the time. Later she got cancer. I hope she recovered. We kept up a correspondence for a while, and then she disappeared.

One year ago, August 2004:

I had just fled my lawyer job a month before. My boredom at my two previous law jobs didn't clue me in that I would hate it. Ever been oblivious like that? After quitting, I went with my husband to Italy, where we ate and walked around. Some days we walked 4 hours. I guess that's why I lost 6 pounds. (I put them back on.)

Yesterday, August 24, 2005:

I went to yoga, made Thai tofu with coconut rice for me and D, and took a bike ride down the Hudson River path around 11 pm. The falafel man, who hits on everybody, said, "Taxi!" as I passed and then said, "Wassup, beautiful?" I didn't see any rats. My palm has healed from my last rat encounter.

Tomorrow, August 26, 2005:

I'll go to yoga and get psyched up for going to the beach on Saturday with D and DG. They have the same first name. I'll also make Grand Marnier French toast with challah bread in the morning.

Five snacks I enjoy:

apples
bananas
raisins
brownies
cookies

Five bands that I know most of their lyrics:

Like Kim, I assume this includes individual artists. I'm gonna say:

Tori Amos
Joni Mitchell
Madonna
Eurythmics
Pet Shop Boys

Five things I'd do with a million dollars:

Have my apartment expanded to include 2 rooms that are lined with bookshelves
Pay off my law school debt
Put some into savings
Set my mother up for retirement
Get a house in San Francisco or Miami

Five places I'd run away to:

San Francisco
Miami
Coronado
Providence (I know, it's weird. But I have a special affection for Brown and they have great sandwiches at Geoff's on Thayer Street).
Drawing a blank on the last one! Maybe Italy? I like the food, but I wouldn't want to live there. I don't think they like Americans much. I like London, but the air is really sooty.

Five bad habits I have:

Worrying/obsessing
Loving dessert (I have to buy individual ones; I only bake dessert for events, so I won't have to deal with tempting leftovers)
A bit of a temper
I can hold a grudge
I sometimes slack off with my writing

Five things I like doing:

Yoga
Bike riding
Eating/cooking
Reading
Hanging out with people

Five things I wouldn't wear:

Fur
Anything with pleats
Thongs
Wool
Heels higher than 1 or 2 inches

Five TV shows I love:

Currently, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. Not a big TV watcher other than that.

Five movies I love:

Say Anything
The Wedding Singer
Napoleon Dynamite
Bridget Jones's Diary
Love Actually
(and many more)

Five famous people I'd like to meet:

This is tough. I find a lot of celebrities vapid and annoying these days. I guess I would say:

Anne Tyler (love her books)
Madonna (story value. Plus she'd probably do something outrageous.)
John Cusack
Colin Firth
Tori Amos

Five favorite toys:

My laptop (PowerBook G4)
Yoga mat
Books!
Food processor
CDs

Five people to tag:

Bdogg (thanks for the books :)
Leah
Lisa
Liz
Lora
Ms. Dork (I know, that's 6. But some people might not do it!)

PENNE A LA VODKA

It rocked. Here's a picture:


And here's the recipe.

Penne a la Vodka (courtesy of Vegetarian Classics by Jeanne Lemlin)

2 T olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c canned crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
1/4 c vodka
1/2 t salt
1/2 c heavy cream
1 lb penne
2 T fresh minced parsley
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (you can also add cubes of fresh mozzarella right before serving)

1. Bring a large quantity of water to boil in a stockpot.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook gently for 1 min. Do not let the garlic get at all colored. Pour in the crushed tomatoes, vodka and salt, and cook at a lively simmer for 10 min. Pour in the cream and keep warm while you cook the pasta.
3. Drop the penne into the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 10-12 min. Drain thoroughly in a colander and return to the pot. Pour on the sauce, toss, and cook 1 min. Serve sprinkled with parsley. Pass the cheese at the table.

Comments

jules said…
Wait a sec, you're telling me you love Joni Mitchell (or at least know the words to her songs) but you've either never heard of or heard Jackson Browne?!
Caro said…
What about Thai tofu with coconut rice? Will you share that recipe? I'm glad your blogs are showing up. They disappeared for a while. At least I couldn't find them. Maybe I'm dumb!
Bearette said…
Jules - it's right, the shameful truth :) Is Jackson similar to Joni? I love a lot of her lyrics - one of my favorites is "Old feelings never die/they just go underground" from Hejira...

Carolyn - here's the recipe. I didn't put it up because I wasn't sure it would be a surefire favorite with everyone. I like it though. It's spicy!

Thai Tofu with Red Curry Sauce over Coconut-Scallion Rice
(from Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons)

1 1/2 t grated lime rind (from 1 lime)
1 1/4 c (10 oz) coconut milk
2 3/4 c water
1 t salt
1 1/2 c white basmati rice
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
(you'll need 2/3 c for the sauce and 2 T for garnish)
2 large garlic cloves, cut in half
1/4 c dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
1/2 t salt
1/4 c canola oil
2 T red curry paste (I use the Thai Kitchen brand)
1 16-oz pkg firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 bunch broccoli, cut into small pieces (about 4 cups)
1 c minced scallions, both green and white parts

1. Bring the coconut milk, 2 1/4 c water, and 1 t salt to a boil, then add the rice. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Let the rice cook, covered, for 15-20 min.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the lime rind, 2/3 c chopped cilantro, the garlic cloves and the peanuts. With the machine running, add 1/2 t salt and 3 T oil, then add the curry paste. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
3. Into a wok or a non-stick skillet, over high heat, pour the remaining 1 T oil. Add the tofu, and cook until the pieces form a golden crust on the bottom. Then turn them with a spatula, and let the tofu form more golden crust on the other side. Transfer the tofu to a plate.
4. Into the same wok or skillet, put the broccoli and the remaining 1/2 c water. Cover and steam the broccoli for 2 minutes. Stir in the lime rind-peanut paste, and cook, stirring, for 1 min more. Add the tofu and toss.
5. Stir the scallions into the rice. Mound the rice on plates, and spoon the tofu and sauce around it. Sprinkle with 2 T chopped cilantro, and serve.

*Not sure why my blogs weren't showing...I have noticed they're slow to load, though.
jules said…
We'll talk .. perhaps I have to burn you a CD!
Kim said…
I'm forever going to be known as the girl that washes her flip flops in the dishwasher. I can live with that I suppose.

Holds a grudge. Good one. One that should have been on my list.
Bearette said…
No grudge over the flip-flop reference, I hope? ;)

I thought it was a fun thing to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!