More movies!

This will be kind of a random late-night posting. D is at his parents' place in the Poconos. He's coming back around 5 pm on Sunday.

His parents have a party there each year. I had the option of going, but for various reasons which I won't go into here, I will go there with D for part of Labor Day weekend instead. Sadly, they do not have the champagne glass-shaped or heart-shaped bathtubs for which the Poconos are renowned.

Anyway, I decided to catch up on chick flicks and dramas, and went to the video store with that in mind.

Baby Boom - this was quite ridiculous and cheesy, yet I enjoyed it. This movie indirectly espouses the following principles:

1) motherhood will make you flushed and radiant, and never tired.
2) your attachment to your baby will supersede your attachment to your boyfriend, job and current locale.
3) if you move to a small town (population 319, INCLUDING you and your baby, and the sign was hand-corrected to show that you moved in), you will immediately meet a cute doctor (okay, vet) to hook up with.
4) if you start canning applesauce out of boredom, and label it as gourmet baby food, people will flock to buy it from far and wide (even though you and the vet, in the vet's words, "are the only people under 60 in this town"). And your former employer, who basically fired you, will offer you $3 million for your gourmet baby food company.

I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone who didn't see it ;) Also, it has a delightfully cheesy, jazz-like score.

A Lot Like Love - Ugh. This was freakin' dreadful. I only rented it because it was playing at the video store and it seemed to be on an intriguing part. Little did I know that the intriguing part was a tiny oasis in a swamp of boredom, bad writing and worse acting.

Amanda Peet, though striking, is really deficient in the charm department. In every role I have seen her in, she comes off as obnoxious. Ashton Kutcher was just kind of blandly handsome. He is more likable than her, though.

You Can Count on Me - This was an indie flick with Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo (one of my favorite actors). Also Matthew Broderick as a bank manager on a power trip, which was pretty funny. It was one of those movies where people are yelling at each other throughout, but I cared about the characters, which was more than I could say for A Lot Like Love.

And tomorrow I have Kate and Leopold. I wonder if that will be good, or if Meg will let me down.

In book news, I reviewed 2 more books for chicklitbooks.com, and R says she'll send me some more next week. I really, really like the free books thing. I am currently reading the first book in the "Gossip Girl" series. I had avoided that series for a while. I guess I was worried it would be mean-spirited and petty. It's really just silly. Looking back, though, these kids are a lot more wild than I was. I didn't even drink in high school!

Oh, and I decided I should see 2 movies that everyone else has seen - The Way We Were and Edward Scissorhands. I got the brilliant idea to put them on hold at the library - it'll be free and I get to keep them for longer.

Yay!

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
Baby Boom is one of my most-loved movies--I think I saw it at the movie theater, actually!

I haven't seen The Way We Were, either, so you'll have to tell me how it is...

Ah, the Poconos! We were originally going to honeymoon there, but circumstances prevented it. We actually never got a proper honeymoon--well, maybe for our 5th! I will lounge in the champagne glass whirlpool tub yet!
Bearette said…
I keep angling to stay at one of those places, but D wants to stay at his parents' place ;)
Anonymous said…
i havent seen it, but ive heard from reliable sources that kate and leopold is awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!