These are magically delicious

Sweet Potatoes with Raisins and Cinnamon (courtesy of Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook)

5 Tbsp olive oil, 1 2-inch cinnamon stick, 1 medium onion (peeled and cut in half lengthwise and crosswise into very fine half rings), 3 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunky slices), 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 3 Tbsp golden raisins (I used regular raisins, I don't think it makes a difference), 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 to 2 tsp sugar.

Put the oil in a wide saute pan or large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the cinnamon stick and the onion.

Saute for about 3 minutes, or until the onion has lost much of its water. Add the sweet potatoes and stir. Continue to saute another 6 to 7 minutes, or until the onion begins to turn light brown and the sweet potatoes have also picked up a little color. Add 3/4 c. of water, the salt, ginger, raisins, cayenne, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and cook gently for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. There should be almost no liquid left in the pan, except for a little oil. (If there is, uncover and boil the liquid off.) Serve hot. You can also sprinkle a little cinnamon on the top (optional).

A note to my friends who are getting married: Of course I am looking forward to YOUR weddings :) Plus, they're next year.

I'm reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. Clearly he didn't have the happiest childhood/early adulthood, but it has provided tons of writing fodder. It's entertaining but at the same time you feel bad for him. He often seems determined to present himself at his worst. Pat yourself on the head, David, and do some yoga. You deserve it.

On a side note, he turns out to be 49. He looks much younger.

On aging in general. I'm about to turn a big, nasty age in July. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude. D really freaked out when he hit this age two years ago. From the smug vantage point of 28, I thought he was overreacting. Now I completely understand. I think I am making my peace with it. Slowly. Buddhism will help :)

I miss my friend Carpe. He's moving from Ogunquit, ME to Rochester, NH so I have not received my usual 45 emails a day from him. I hope he is doing well and drinking responsibly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
heehee!! i'm back...all that moving and unpacking burned off the alcohol!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!