This is hard

Of course I couldn't resist doing this, although it will be difficult. I got this from Lisa's margarita-tinged blog.

1) Name five of your favorite books.

Of course I had to over-think this - books I love? Books I stand in awe of? Books that are re-readable? I'll just dive in.

Harriet the Spy - Louise Fitzhugh. There are so many things I love about this book, I don't know where to start. One of my favorite characters is Harrison Withers, who has something like 50 cats and named them all after literary figures and other famous people (Rasputin, Mickey Mantle, etc.)
The Accidental Tourist - Anne Tyler. The first Tyler I read; hooked for life.
The Undomestic Goddess - Sophie Kinsella. I love pretty much anything Kinsella writes, but I related to this especially - maybe because the main character was a beleaguered lawyer (although she had the wisdom to leave).
Rosie Dunne - Cecilia Ahern. The hot chocolate of books. (I passed a restaurant today with the words "chocolat chaud" painted on the windows. Try thinking "chocolat chaud" without feeling cozy inside. You can't do it ;)
Anne of the Island - L.M. Montgomery. Of course I liked Anne of Green Gables too, but I re-read Anne of the Island more. I think.

2) What was the last book you bought?
Stag by Tim Relf.


3) What was the last book you read?
Stag by Tim Relf (not that good).


4) List five books that have been particularly meaningful to you (in no particular order).

Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson (I did not see the movie). So dark, poetic and sad.
The Amateur Marriage - Anne Tyler. Just found it relentlessly emotionally involving. I identified heavily with the wife in the story.
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy. Yes, I read it before Oprah picked it ;) I think Book One is a model of great writing - this is before Book Two begins, with Levin ranting about wheat. I love Anna.
Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret - go on, pretend this wasn't a big revelation when you were a girl ;)
In Cold Blood - very powerful.


5) Name three books you've been dying to read but just haven't gotten around to it.

I pretty much pounce on books as soon as I want to read them. I am, however, looking forward to:

You'll Never Nanny in This Town Again - Suzanne Hansen
Love and Other Near-Death Experiences - Mil Millington
We Are All Fine Here - Mary Guterson

6) Tag five people and have them fill this quiz out on their own.

Whoever wants to!

I'm adding an extra category:

7) One or more books you love, although you're a little embarrassed about it.
The Stand - Stephen King. I feel like I know Stu and Frannie.

Comments

Lisa said…
Tyler has a new one coming out in May!
Bearette said…
yay!!! Coming to America, I think.
Lisa said…
Digging to America.
Bearette said…
Oops. I mixed it up with an Eddie Murphy movie.
Lora said…
I'm embarrassed to say that I STILL have not read Anna Karenina although I've been meaning to do so forever.

I did a version on this meme ages ago. If you want to check out my responses:
http://blackcurrantjam.blogspot.com/2005/06/bookshelf-friends.html
Anonymous said…
Can they just chain Anne Tyler to a computer and make her write a new book every month? ;)

I really loved The Amateur Marriage, too. When I finished the last page it almost felt like a death had occurred.
Bearette said…
Lora - I will check it out!

Liz - Someone should definitely do that ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!