The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Last night we saw a play on Broadway with my mother and family friend H (they have been friends since high school). My mom informed me ahead of time that this was the non-PC, "adult" version of the play, and I think it may have been too much for her. They were at least even-handed, offending most groups and people ;) A few of my favorite things about the play were:

1) The appearance of Jesus in flowing white robes and a glowing red heart after one of the spellers said, "Jesus, can't you give me a harder word than that?" The speller asked Jesus if he would look down on her if she lost the bee, and he assured her he doesn't really care about such things ;)

2) The speller with a "magic foot" who spelled each word with his foot, was unabashedly geeky and sang out, "Yeah, I know" every time the vice-principal told him he'd spelled a word correctly.

3) The slouching, dreadlocked guy on parole who was the "comfort counselor" for spellers who'd just been eliminated. He handed out juice boxes and was more or less huggy, depending on the gender and attractiveness of the eliminated speller.

My mom and H stayed in Times Square. My mom commented on all the flashing lights (there was even an electronic sign that showed different breeds of puppies, including Australian shepherds and Tibetan terriers). She said it must have been very different during the blackout. During the blackout, I was actually lying in Central Park, reading, and then walked home. It took me a few minutes to notice that none of the street lights were working! And our building is on a different grid than most of the city, so we weren't affected. But it was pretty seeing all the bars filled with candles.

Comments

Ashley Beth said…
I heard about that production on NPR on our way back from blogger weekend while sitting in traffic. Russell and I laughed. There are only a few "adult only" performances from what I remember.
Bearette said…
It made me wonder what would be left for the non-adult performance. Everything was raunchy!
;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!