Aargh. I just got a call that made me feel terribly old. It was a girl from my college. First off, she called me Mrs. No one ever calls me Mrs., even though it's technically correct. Then she thanked me for giving to my college "for the past eleven years." I've only been out of college since '97! She must have mixed me up with D, who is 2 years older and went to the same school.

I made the sweet potato soup that I posted the recipe for previously. It is now my goal to eat as much of this soup as possible before I die. It's so good and so easy.

Had yoga with IM today. She really does yoga right. When Lisa and I went to yoga in Austin, the teacher was very sweet - she hugged us after class and had us hold hands while we sang Om - but it wasn't my idea of a real yoga class, though we had a good time. IM is probably my favorite teacher. She read from Rumi's poem "Two Shops". Her favorite line is, "We are all free-swimming fish," and she built the class around that, even incorporating some breaststroke.

I'm reading a really ridiculous book. It's called "The High Impact Infidelity Diet." It's fiction. It's about three guys who are over 300 lbs, and their wives want them to lose weight for health reasons. Since all else has failed, the wives say that one of their college friends is a prostitute. They promise their husbands can have a one-night stand with the prostitute if they get their weight down to 210. The guys go to work, not knowing that the prostitute doesn't exist.

The guys make more progress than their wives expected. One of them is actually 210 now, and the others are close, so the wives are scrambling to find a prostitute. One of them is going to a lot of massage parlors and trying to find out if any of them are "professionals."

This made me laugh because I had considered learning massage therapy, so I could offer both yoga and massage at the yoga studio I hope to open in the future. D wanted me to promise not to massage any guys and he said massages are associated with sex. At the time, I contested this. We both got a massage at the Hotel Nikko in San Fran once, and there was no way the masseuse was a prostitute. D said she was really a man. A scary one, too! But, in the book, the massage parlor leads them to some pros. I wonder how the book is going to end. It has already been optioned as a movie.

On the yoga job front: I am teaching again on March 7, and I'm on the sub list at another studio. One gym has said they'll have auditions in about a month. Another gym only hires instructors who have a letter of reference from their instructors, so I have to get to know one of their instructors. I don't even belong to that gym. However, gyms pay well and tend to look kindly on new teachers.

Comments

Caro said…
You're not old. You're still a pup compared to ancient old me.

Good luck with your job searching.
Lish said…
Ok, don't ask how I know this, but there is an adult film called the Masseuse. Coincidence? I think not.
Lisa said…
I know a couple girls who are massage therapists---and they are definitely not prostitutes!

And, can I just say, if my (imaginary) husband was actually motivated to lose weight by a promise of a night with a prostitute, my very next conversation would be with a divorce lawyer.
Bearette said…
hehe - lisa, i have to agree. it's not a ploy i would use either. i felt vaguely sullied after finishing the book, so i'm now reading breakfast at tiffany's. however, they cut a lot out of that movie! holly said a lot of un-PC things in the book.

lish - that's a riot!

carolyn - thanks! we are both puppies.
When Lisa and I went to yoga in Austin, the teacher was very sweet - she hugged us after class

that's so Austin though. I love Austin. My wife found a wonderful masseuse there.

As for masseuses and prostitutes, not at all. If you get a masseuse at a sports gym or a chiropractor, you won't find a prostitute. The ones that are prostitutes, well, you'll know almost immediately when you walk in.

The ladies in this book must be naive. It's very easy to find prostitutes, even high class ones if that's what they're looking for. Going from massage studio to massage studio is the hard way. Don't they have any single male friends they can ask?
Bearette said…
ZS, you know a lot about this! ;)

They finally get one through the massage route. I guess they don't know anyone who knows one.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!