The return of Rudolph

Rudolph is our small furry friend, whom I've never seen. He visited the kitchen last night while D was up late. I know this because:

1) A large sonic device is plugged in right in front of the crack between the oven and the wall. The sonic devices in the living room have kept Rudolph away from there, his previous hideaway. Apparently the cracks between appliances and the wall are harder to reach.

2) The mop has been moved from the hall closet to the kitchen closet. This means D tried to capture Rudolph.

3) A turtle magnet I haven't seen in a while is now on the fridge. That means it fell behind the oven and D found it during his interactions with Rudolph. (I am praying hard that Rudolph is a boy, since we don't want to find many small Rudolphs.)

What makes me feel better about this whole thing is that mice are apparently everywhere this winter; even my brother has had problems with them. And this little guy seems to stay behind the oven and only appears around 4 am (only D has seen him, ever). I wish he would find a new nighttime home!!! (The mouse, not D.)

In other news, I made a squash dish last night. It was quite yummy. Weirdly, though, the Pyrex dish I roasted the garlic in did not survive. After pouring the garlic out of the bowl, I put the bowl in the sink and it shattered in a million little pieces, like James Frey's reputation. I did pour some water on it, but that shouldn't cause breakage. I was a little scared!

Anyway, here's the recipe (adapted from Didi Emmons' Vegetarian Planet; I tweaked some amounts). And some trivia for you: it is her cat Henry's favorite recipe (or one of them). Henry weighs 17 lbs and loves to eat.

Ziti with Acorn Squash and Roasted Garlic

1 acorn squash
3 T olive oil
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 lb ziti or penne (I like to use less; the sauce goes further that way)
1/3 c white wine
1/2 t salt
Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese
1/8 c walnuts, lightly toasted in a small saucepan

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Cut the acorn squash in half, remove the seeds, and place the halves on a baking sheet, cut side down. Bake the squash for 1 hour or until the flesh is soft. Let the squash cool, then spoon out the flesh from the shells, and chop it fine.

2. About 1/2 hour after the squash has begun baking, roast the garlic: toss together the oil and the garlic, and place them in an oven-proof dish. Bake the garlic, uncovered, alongside the squash for 15-20 min or until the garlic is lightly golden.

3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the ziti until it is just tender. Drain it, reserving 1/2 c of the drained pasta water.

4. While the pasta cooks, spoon the roasted garlic with its oil into a large skillet. Add the wine and the reserved pasta water, and bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil for about 2 min. Add the chopped squash flesh, and boil the sauce 3 min more. Take the skillet off the heat.

5. Add the ziti to the sauce, and stir well. Add the salt, pepper and Parmesan, and toss. Divide the pasta among plates, sprinkle the walnuts over, and serve with additional Parmesan.

Update: I think he is coming in from the pipe behind the oven, so I'll put some steel wool on the pipe. According to Home Depot, they can't nibble through it.

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
Wow--one time when I was home from college one summer we had made lemon bars in this Pyrex dish. My mom was heating water for spaghetti and turned the wrong burner on and started heating up the Pyrex dish that was on the burner. We realized what was happening and my mom pulled the dish off the burner, and about 3 seconds later it EXPLODED.

Cut all of our legs and everything with the flying glass. Until now I'd never heard that happen to anyone else. It's kind of scary....they should put some warning on there for that.

Glass was everywhere--even in the pasta that was boiling. We ended up going out for dinner that night.
Lisa said…
My mom blew up a Pyrex dish once by putting it on a hot burner. She screamed and my dad came running in with bare feet---you can imagine the rest. I learned a few new words that night.
Bearette said…
God! I wonder if Pyrex is defective. You'd think glass could go in the oven.
Bearette said…
A furry fig!
Lisa said…
For some reason, Pyrex can go in the oven but it can't go on a burner. I don't get it.
Caro said…
James Frey's reputation. Ha ha. That was a good one.

You should be a detective. You figured out your husband's nocturnal mouse chasing by observing. Cool.
Anonymous said…
Carolyn said everything I was going to say. :-)

Nice sleuthing!

I recall Dateline or some other news program doing a story on exploding Pyrex... scary! Some of the cases even involved microwaved Pyrex...
Bearette said…
Hehe ;) Thank you! I think I will avoid Pyrex from now on...
Faltenin said…
OK, call me stupid, but here I was wondering how a red-nosed reindeer could wander your kitchen unseen.

Hey, he has to keep busy the 364 OTHER nights???
Bearette said…
I guess we should have called him Stuart (as in Little).

;)
jules said…
I can't believe that mouse is still there! You put that post up a while ago about it! Good luck!
Anonymous said…
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Pyrex FAQs

Hmmm... I have at least 3 Pyrex violations under my belt...
Ashley Beth said…
I've never even heard of crazy malfunctioning pyrex! That is sooo scary and I have a TON of it! Whoa.
Bearette said…
Jules - He's a stubborn bugger.

Liz - I spotted my violation right away! The hot-to-cold temperature changes. So that's why it exploded when I poured water on it.
Caro said…
Maybe you could name the mouse Santa. Leave him out some milk and cookies and he'll leave out some "presents" for you.
Bearette said…
hehe...not the kind of presents i'd want!!
8 large garlic cloves, peeled

Any recipe with 8 large garlic cloves is bound to be good. Unless of course it has squash. I don't like squash. :p
Bearette said…
my husband hates squash too :( and sweet potatoes.
Lora said…
I blew up a Pyrex dish last year by placing it on a hot burner too. Scary! And what a mess!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

happy birthday e!