Miami, Part III

Despite my best efforts, I am slightly burned. Not really visible to the eye, but everything is tender. I made the classic mistake of using SPF 15 instead of 30 yesterday. It was cloudy, but no matter. My skin can stand up to New England/New York sun without burning, but it's just no match for Miami sun.

A couple nights ago it rained like nobody's business. Just curtains of water falling down. We were trapped at the restaurant for a while and then made a run for it. We got 2 garbage bags from a waiter, poked holes in them for air, and set off. It felt a bit Darth Vader-y so we hummed the Imperial March. At one point D said, "Look at the fish!" and I thought there was one swimming in the lake on the sidewalk! You know, the water we were wading through. But he was talking about an orange-and-white stuffed fish in a Sprint cell phone store window display. Oh well.

I went to the hip-hop cowgirl class yesterday. It was a little bit of a disappointment. It was split into 3 parts:

1) aerobics, which I fortunately remembered from college.
2) the teacher's own freestyle dance moves, which were kind of Michael Jackson-y. These were (a) not my style and (b) hard to follow. However, she does get points for dancing with complete lack of inhibition in front of a mirror with 10 other people.
3) abs stuff. I was afraid of hurting my neck again, but it didn't happen.

One girl took the class in green suede cowboy boots with a 3-inch heel. She also brought a plastic giraffe to class, I'm not sure why.

We had a really good dinner afterward at the Pelican. The Pelican has different themed rooms. The most popular is "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." We've never stayed there. You can try to pick a particular room, but it's not guaranteed; you get whatever is available. Anyway, I had a pear, walnut and arugula salad, and orrechiette with eggplant, mozzarella and a light cream sauce. I am not generally an eggplant fan, but this dish was very good.

I met a fantastic dog named Angel this morning. His owner said, "He loves long hair. He just goes crazy." After a bit, the owner said, "I hope he goes home with me."

Comments

SK said…
A girl with green 3inch heel boots and a plastic giraffe? Hmm.. weird. It IS Miami, though. =)

Glad you are having a good time!
Caro said…
The Imperial March, huh? You sound like you have a lot of fun with D.

Oh, and Rudolph said to hurry home. He misses you.
Bearette said…
Lost - Not only that, she was dancing around in them for an hour! I think she put the giraffe off to the side.

C - Hee. D hasn't seen Rudolph since I put steel wool on the pipe behind the oven. Bye, Rudolph.
verniciousknids said…
Does the giraffe represent the cowgirl part or the hip-hop part? I'm confused :p

I hope your sunburn goes away quickly.
Anonymous said…
Alex loves hair, too. If I'm stretched out on the floor he'll try to roll on it.

Hopefully it's because it smells good. ;)
Bearette said…
V - Thanks. I'm not sure where the giraffe came from ;)

Liz - ;) Maybe they see it as a toy.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!