The orange and green lunch

I am going to share my orange and green lunch with you. Not literally ;) Also, I went to the Strand today. I thought I might be the only person book-dorky enough to go there on President's Day, but I was wrong.

Pros of the Strand: You can get brand-new hardcover books for $11.50. Paperbacks range from $3.95 to $6.47.

Cons of the Strand: Poor organization. One of the guys who worked there, who looked like a model, said vaguely, "They're mixed in here somewhere," when I asked him where a certain book was. I saw online that they had 27 copies. Another guy, not as striking but more knowledgeable, told me they were downstairs. He was right. Also, the aisles are very narrow and cluttered up with ladders. When I first saw them, as a lawyer, I thought, "This is a lawsuit waiting to happen." But no one seems to fall off.

Anyway, here is the orange and green lunch.

The orange part: Microwave 2 sweet potatoes, about 22 minutes. Cut them in half through the middle, scoop out the insides and mix them in a saucepan with 1 c. soy milk, 1/2 t salt-free seasoning, 1/4 t cinnamon and a few dashes of nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, then simmer for 5 min, covered. Quick and easy. (Adapted from Nava Atlas.)

The green part: In a food processor, combine 6 oz baby spinach leaves, a handful of toasted walnuts, 1/2 c Parmesan or Romano cheese (or a mixture of the two), salt and pepper, 2 cloves of garlic microwaved with 1/4 c olive oil, and a dash of nutmeg. This is spinach pesto and you can toss it with pasta. Is basil pesto better? Yes; but the spinach is good and basil is rare right now. (Adapted from Rachael Ray.)

Comments

Caro said…
Oh, your lunch sounds good.

I wish there were such thing as almond milk cheese!

Then I could have cheese again.

Would pesto taste good without cheese? Or would it even be pesto?
Bearette said…
Hmmm. It might not be pesto anymore. But you could try it!
Bearette said…
Maybe you could use soy cheese?
Caro said…
Soy is out too. Apparently ninety percent of people with milk issues also have soy issues.
verniciousknids said…
Yum - I'm going to try your no-basil pesto this weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!