Winter vegetable stew


This is really good.

Winter Vegetable Stew (from Table for Two, by Joanne Stepaniak)

You need 6-8 cups of vegetables. The cookbook says to combine sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes and parsnips, but I dissed the rutabagas and turnips. (Parsnips are cute, by the way.) Peel all the veggies and chop them in chunks that are about the same size. Then you need 6-8 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely, 1 large chopped onion, and 2 cups of greens (I used kale).

Put everything except the kale in a large saucepan (or whatever you usually cook soup in) and cover the vegetables with water. Don't fill the saucepan more than 2/3 full; otherwise the water will splash out. That said, the more water you use, the more broth you will have.

Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the kale, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the root vegetables are very tender and beginning to break apart.

It's amazing. I like sweet vegetables, so I favored the sweet potatoes, carrots, and parsnips and they released all this starchy sweetness. Much better than any commercial broth. You can add a little salt to each bowl.

Comments

Caro said…
I saw Kale in the store yesterday and thought of you. Didn't you post a potato/kale soup recipe? I was thinking of finding that post and trying it.
Bearette said…
I did! I actually have some in my freezer.

The winter veg one is simpler, though, and actually a little better, though they're both good.
Caro said…
My husband doesn't like sweet potatoes and sweet squash like I do. :>( So I have to stick to stuff that isn't as exciting.
Bearette said…
My husband doesn't like sweet potatoes or squash either! But I make them anyway. He can always have macaroni. Also, there's usually one night a week where we don't eat together (writing class, etc.)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!