Shih tzus, Steely Dan and yoga

So I taught my first yoga class yesterday. I want to teach another one! But everyone has to take their turn, so there won't be any more community classes to teach until the last week of February (when I'll be in Miami. Not that that's a bad thing.)

At the risk of sounding totally hokey, it was really a beautiful experience. I liked having creative control and finally doing this thing that I'd been planning for so long. Afterward, the mentor who watched me and 4 girls from the program gave me feedback, and they clapped when it was over. Everyone liked my music (thanks, Moby), sequencing, etc. One tip the mentor gave me was to demonstrate poses facing the side of the room; if you face the class, it can confuse them (mirror image) and turning your back might seem unfriendly. Interesting, huh? They also liked savasana (the relaxation at the end). I played "Chord Sounds" (a much better song than the title implies) from Moby's Hotel: Disc 2 during relaxation and gave everyone a massage. The person I massaged before the mentor was very sweaty!! I had to wipe my hands before massaging the next person. But I was proud of myself for giving a good workout ;)

Also, I was playing Steely Dan before class in an attempt to calm my nerves. I was very nervous at the beginning, but as soon as I started walking around adjusting people and talking about the asanas, it kind of evaporated. The mentor was really digging the Steely Dan songs and singing along. It was cute.

I also met a shih tzu this morning. Eventually the owner said they had to go, and the dog kept casting me backward glances, as if to say, "Can't you pat me again?"

Comments

Lisa said…
Yay for you!
Caro said…
Congratulations! I knew you would do great.
Bearette said…
Thanks, guys.
Lish said…
Congrats on your first class!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!