Supermarkets, Pilates, polenta and so forth

I was thinking about supermarkets. I went to one recently - Fairway - where the prices are very low (1/3 that of Whole Foods, for produce anyway) and insanity is high. At one point I got locked in the center of a hub that couldn't move. I patiently pointed out, "If you'd wait a minute and let me move, then we all could move." They allowed me to move, and then they could all move too! Who would have thought? Then my irritation faded as I shifted into survival mode, concentrating on getting what I needed and emerging in one piece. It was so crowded that the cashier lines extended into some of the aisles. If you wanted to look at dish detergent, it was too bad because the aisle was full of carriages waiting to be checked out.

I'm not usually silly enough to go there, but it happened to be in the neighborhood of the Pilates class I had just tried. To my surprise, Pilates doesn't involve sophisticated equipment. It's done on a mat, just like yoga, with some props, but it's very grounded (none of the balletic, balancing moves from yoga that I love). And it's all about the abs. It's a little scary, but I'd like to try it again.

Brokeback Mountain? If you've seen it, feel free to leave thoughts. I read somewhere that it was "beautifully shot [and] tediously paced."

I'm making pumpkin polenta for lunch today. My craving for the orange family (squash, sweet potato, pumpkin) could no longer be subdued. D decided to have lunch with a friend. I wish he would try it; he doesn't know what he's missing.

I finished "In Cold Blood" a couple of days ago and it was excellent. I would have told Truman to cut the first 5 pages or so but the rest of it was great. You could see he had finally found his subject. The writing was so evocative and the killers were actually sympathetic. I had some things in common with one of them (namely, being oversensitive sometimes), but I decided not to worry about it. It's "abnormal psych effect." When I took abnormal psych in college, the professor told us we'd all think we had one of the disorders we studied, but the fact that we were so self-aware meant we didn't. Or something like that.

I'm currently reading "The Wife of Reilly" by Jennifer Coburn. It's about a woman who's cheating on her husband, but she doesn't want to leave him alone so she creates a personal ad for him and vets his dates so she can find a new wife for him. He doesn't know this is going on. At first I thought she would be an unsympathetic character, but it's very funny, like all her other books. They always have an outrageous premise.

Comments

Lisa said…
Ooooh---pumpkin polenta---yummy! Are you making the Rachel Ray recipe?
Bearette said…
Yes indeed! I love it. Did you get her new issue? I'm considering it. But one of the recipes called for 8 oz cream cheese...in addition to more cheese! Oy.
Bearette said…
Now I know you're kidding, but that sounded true ;)
bdogg_mcgee said…
Wow, D, that sounde pretty plausible.

Especially because I know how into domination and stuff Germans are.....

Ever wondered why they like all that stuff? Well, here's a post that might have something to do with it, even though it takes place in Austria, well, there has to be some intermingling since they're neighbors!

http://minivanmom74.samsproductions.com/?p=689
Lisa said…
I did get the new issue, although so far, I'm not as impressed. There is soooo much about her own wedding in it. And not many veggie recipes.
Bearette said…
Bdogg - that was scary! It reminded me of the lottery by shirley jackson, but with a freaky celebratory element ;)

Lisa - I agree. Did you see that cream cheese recipe??? I think it was "cheesy pasta with peas and carrots." she gets a little too rock 'n' roll with her fat content for me, so i reduced the cheese by half and cut out the butter when i was making the polenta. and it was still great. also, i find that bird's eye frozen spinach works the best - not as watery.
Caro said…
I tried a Pilates DVD once for about three minutes, then I gave it away. I have abs of jello.

Your shopping experience sounds like going to Costco, our local warehouse store. During the day, people hand out free samples. You will get stampeded if you are anywhere near where the samples are being handed out. The lines to check out are always long.
My parents just saw Brokeback Mountain. My father loved the scenery. he wasn't too crazy about the love scenes, but he's a film geek so he'll go see everything. He said Wyoming's beautiful. I don't know, because when I went through Wyoming, I only caught a piece of it going 100 miles an hour.
Bearette said…
heh. d doesn't want to see it (he doesn't think any straight man would), and i don't know anyone here who does :(, so i'll probably catch it by myself today.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!