A story in pictures

We had a great time in Austin. I am definitely going back. The weather was perfect (except for some rare rain on Saturday), so D got his coveted bike ride in, and I loved meeting my blog friends. There was a cozy group feeling and we closed the restaurant! The staff locked the door behind us as we lingered outside, talking.



Here are some cute cookies that Lisa and I saw at a bakery before dinner. Aren't they adorable? I love the ladybugs.




Bdogg's husband DH and New Mezger's husband Russell hamming it up in the corner ;) I thought they were getting on remarkably well for 2 guys who just met; then Bdogg reminded me they were roommates in college.



Bdogg with her cake! It was great, and I think she was surprised. It was a yellow cake with rich chocolate frosting.




Lisa and New Mezger at dinner.



Here are Lisa and Lost at dinner.



Lisa having tea at a place we went to before the restaurant. I liked my tea a lot...lemon ginger.



Crystal's bag. Crystal makes super crafts. I love the patch. She also made us CDs which I am going to listen to today!



The Jamaican stir-fry I got at Mother's Cafe. It was good but not terribly filling, so I had too much cake afterward!



Aerial view of Austin, taken from my hotel room. I should have taken one at night, with all the lights sparkling. The red place is a tattoo parlor.



Here is a random fluffball I patted near Town Lake. S/he kept twisting around, so I couldn't get a great picture.



Rowen in the water, having a blast. Lisa and I took her for a walk around Town Lake, which is beautiful. Rowen:water = peas:carrots = Forrest:Jenny.



Here are Lost and Rowen, meeting at last. Rowen has her eyes closed for meditation.



Crystal and Justin. Aren't they a cute couple?



Crystal's pumpkin pancakes. They were huge, but looked awesome. She had to get most of them wrapped up to go.



Here are the famous squash flautas. We went back to Kerby Lane the next day for lunch (D, me, Crystal, Justin and Lost). It was fabulous! Of course I ate all the guacamole. It is a good thing I don't live in Austin, or I would gain 2,000 lbs. Otherwise it's a great city. I would also try to get a subway built ;)

Comments

Anonymous said…
How fun!!! So glad the weather cooperated for you all. It was about 70 degrees in DC on Saturday and I was hoping it was nice in TX, too.

I wish I had some flautas and Bdogg cake for lunch today... mmmm... ;-)
Poppy said…
Aww, thanks for posting photos so that I could pretend I was there. :)

The flautas look sooooooooooo tasty!!!
Bearette said…
They really were!

:)
Anonymous said…
I think every city needs a subway! After seeing the photo from your hotel room, I have to ask--are there ANY trees in Texas? Wow.
Bearette said…
hehe...there are a few, kitkat, but not in the city proper. as we rode in from the airport, i noticed a bunch.
Anonymous said…
Hooray! You were here! So much fun...
Bearette said…
I miss it already.
Looks cool. Have many fond memories of Austin.

Their outdoors are spectacular. Their people are nice and friendly. Their restaurants, as you mentioned, are wonderful.

I applied for half a dozen jobs in Austin. Really wanted to live there back when I lived in Houston. Didn't hear back from any of them. :(

Plus, a good friend of mine lives in Austin and they play D&D on the weekends. I haven't played that since the 80s. That would be too cool to join a campaign and play that game again.

Good musicians too. I'd love to get a band going again.

Glad you had a good time.
Caro said…
Sounds like you had a great time. Your flauta plate looked delicious. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
Bearette said…
ZS - Yeah, my friend Lisa says it's hard to get a job there. When she applied for jobs, she was up against 300 people for 1 position. Apparently there was a tech bust that made everything go awry. It'd be a nice place to live, though.

C - They really were! I'm tempted to try them at home, but I'm sure they're really fattening. Plus I'd have to hunt down soft corn tortillas.
Lish said…
Mother's is fabulous. They have one of my favorite dishes, artichoke enchiladas. The owners used to have another vegetarian restaurant called West Lynn Cafe. It was a little more upscale. They recently closed it, but they brought some of the menu items to Mother's thankfully. I'm glad you had a nice time. I don't think we'll ever have a subway system here. Sorry. In fact, I don't think any city in TX ever will. We just build out instead of up, so everyone has cars.
Lora said…
There actually lots of trees in Austin, but they're are off to the west side of town, which really is beautiful and hilly.

As for public transport, there are efforts in that direction, but they haven't made significant headway. The population is so spreadout that in reality improving the bus system, which is well used, is probably the more effective option.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!