Match Point; or, the flutist and the dancer

D and I saw Match Point tonight. I don't want to spoil it for anyone since it's not even in wide release yet, but I liked it. Woody Allen was revisiting his themes from Crimes & Misdemeanors, but actually in a more fleshed-out way, with an added twist at the end. There was also this conceit of luck vs. morality throughout. It was more developed than his other recent movies, as well. I bet he followed an eight-part structure ;) His other recent movies had a wandering feeling, while this one was tightly plotted.

There is something reassuring about a Woody Allen movie for me. They always begin with white letters on a black screen. The cast members are always listed alphabetically. Juliet Taylor always does the casting. And the producers are always the same, though I forget their names now.

Anyway, one reviewer had said this was a nasty misogynistic thriller with a polished sheen. I didn't actually find it misogynistic. He did a good job of making certain characters sympathetic and others completely not.

We decided there were two themes: "Money has a price" (D's conclusion) and "Don't push a man too hard" (mine).

In the subway station, we saw a flutist working his way through Stevie Wonder's repertoire, and a man with a Jerry Garcia-like beard, a Santa cap and a varsity jacket doing his own little baked dance. It was oddly touching. We gave a dollar to the flutist, but I felt like maybe we should have given it to the dancer. When the rest of us got on the train, I looked out the window and saw them still waiting on the platform, almost like lovers.

Comments

Heh, one thing I remember about New York subways is that they have a wide range of talent. I saw one woman with a $50 Casio keyboard playing single notes and a guy playing simple tunes on one of those $5 plastic flutes.

Then I remember some sick sax players. Those are the people I remember giving money to.

As for Woody, I haven't seen that movie yet. I'll have to see it. I've probably seen one third of his films.

In the JC I went to, they had an entire semester on Scorcese and an entire semester on Woody. I saw most of the Scorcese ones but only about half of the Allen ones because I was in a band at the time and missed a lot of them.

They used to show the actual movies in the JC's cinema screen, but have the class in a classroom. The teacher didn't care that people not enrolled in the class would sneak in to catch the actual movies. That's what I did, although I kind of wish I took the classes as well.
Oh, forgot to say it. Firsties! (Got that from Ben O).
Bearette said…
Hehe ;) What's the JC?
Caro said…
I wish you had a camera phone so you could share pics with us of the daily eccentricities you see!
Bearette said…
I know, i really should lug my digital camera around...i might have been shy taking pics of them though. maybe the dancer would have thrown his santa cap at me.
Lish said…
The only Woody Allen movie I've seen was Anything Else. I like it.
Bearette - Junior College.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!