Favorite TV shows over time

I was never much of a TV watcher. I think my time to watch it was actually limited when I was a child, though I forget the limit my mother put on it. Over the years, however, certain shows emerged as favorites and this is my homage to them.

The Golden Girls - Who can forget Dorothy shaking her groove thing at the benefit and asking the DJ, "Let's have something with a little more octane!" My college roommate and I used to say this to each other. Our friend PC, who is now in England, is a (straight) male devotee of the Golden Girls, and even has a T-shirt that features Rose Nylund smiling serenely. He claims that on Bea Arthur's website FAQ, there is the question, "Is Bea Arthur a man?" and the answer is "No." I think the phrasing of the question is slightly different. But feel free to check it out and report back ;)

The Cosby Show - Like everyone else, I watched this in the '80s. So wholesome. It doesn't age well, though. When I see it now, I just think pudding pops. And Bill Cosby's illegitimate daughter, Autumn.

Seinfeld - Never got into it. But on the night of the last episode, I went to CVS and met a Rottweiler puppy. I held him in the palm of my hand ;)

Friends - Got into it reluctantly after 6 seasons. I liked it when Ross said the wrong name at the altar.

Sex and the City - Got into this reluctantly after 4 or so seasons. D enjoyed making fun of SJP's pseudo-deep revelations about life, typed very slowly on a laptop.

Desperate Housewives - Watched this from its inception. Miss it. Bring it back!

Grey's Anatomy - Couldn't be bothered to watch the first episode, but gradually got sucked into the drama of a hospital where everyone sleeps with each other.

How I Met Your Mother - A sleeper. I'm always surprised by how clever this is (for a sitcom, anyway) and particularly enjoyed the last episode. It was a rerun, but I hadn't seen it before. If it hasn't caught on already, I hope it does.

First season of The Apprentice - One of my former coworkers leaked a rumor that Kwame would win. Katrina got loose-lipped in a Miami club and told the New York Post that Kwame was the one. I had a bet with two of my other co-workers - I voted for Troy, the girl voted for Amy and the guy voted for Kwame. So the guy got all smug until the finale came and...Kwame didn't win. Because he had the supreme bad judgment to pick Omarosa for his team.

Comments

Lisa said…
I am such a TV addict, which is why I don't allow myself to have a television. Although I then just rent the shows on DVD. Favorites: Homicide; Fame! (I got the Season 1 DVD for Christmas); Buffy the Vampire Slayer; CSI; Gilmore Girls.
Bearette said…
I saw the Gilmore Girls DVD at Barnes & Noble, and thought of you!
Anonymous said…
Did they cancel Desperate Housewives? I've never seen it, but I thought it was still going strong...
Anonymous said…
Also, Lisa-- I got seasons 2 & 3 of I Love Lucy on DVD for Christmas. Guess what I've been watching non-stop every night?
Anonymous said…
I secretly wish to write an homage of my own, but I know I won't so here's a little list:

The early years:

Welcome Back Kotter
Chico and the Man
All in the Family
The Monkees
One Day at the Time ('wop on the beat')
HR puff n' stuff
The Young Ones
and
Simon and Simon (by associaion mostly - one my mom's favorites)

Somehow as an adult I have only been able to openly tolerate shows that begin with S:

Seinfeld
South Park
Sopranos
Six Feet Under

(with some mild guilty enjoyment of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and episodes of Sex in the City which are light on the SPJ factor)
Bearette said…
T - The 70s are heavily represented ;) The S thing is interesting. I've heard Weeds is good, but we no longer have showtime.

Liz - they didn't cancel it, but they keep showing reruns or TV movies because of the holidays. Hopefully this weekend it will be back. I'm counting the days. I know, it's ridiculous.
Anonymous said…
I admit my nostalgia for the decade is disproportionate to the amount of it I spent being able to tie my own shoes.
Bearette said…
do you remember "the courtship of eddie's father"? i have only found one other person who remembers it. i watched it with my sibs when i was a wee tot.
Caro said…
My husband remembers "The Courtship". He said the guy that played Bill Bixby in "The Hulk" was in it?

When I was a kid in 6th grade, I was a MASH fanatic. From Childhood, I also remember Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days and, of course, Captain Kangaroo.
Bearette said…
Woo hoo - 2 people remember it!!
:)

I remember MASH as well...my sisters were really into it.
Bearette said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frema said…
I fell in love with Friends in the sixth season and now know almost all the episodes by heart. Love SATC, 24, and Scrubs, too. And The Cosby Show never gets old!

Older favorites include:

Family Ties
Growing Pains
Just the Ten of Us


Child of the eighties, maybe? :)
Caro said…
Last night, SJ was laughing like Horseshack and I remembered "Welcome Back Kotter." Lordy, I'm old.
Of those you mentioned, Seinfeld was the one I liked best. My fav character was George because he was so animated. Those characters were meant to not be liked, kind of anti-heroes. I thought it was neat.

Didn't like the final episode though.
Lish said…
Friends was and will always be my favorite show of all time. I watch reruns every day even though I've seen every episode hundreds of times.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!