Summer's gone

The title of this post comes from a song on the mix Crystal made for us. Sigh. In Austin, all the buildings are cream or terra cotta and it's probably about 70 right now, with doggies swimming in Town Lake. In Manhattan, it's gray and bleak and everyone insists on wearing black. Could we have some color, please?

However, I did make a yummy minestrone that I will share with y'all. My camera was being temperamental, and decided not to be nice until I had already eaten most of the soup (well, D helped a bit). It's clear that my camera does not have 2 degrees from obedience school like Rowen.

Minestrone

2 T olive oil
2 c chopped onion
1 1/2 t salt
2 carrots, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 t oregano
Fresh black pepper to taste
1 t basil
1 medium bell pepper, diced
3 c water
1 14.5 oz can tomato puree (approx. 2 cups)
3 T red wine
1 can chickpeas
1 c dry pasta (any shape; I used farfalle)
1/2 c freshly minced parsley
parmesan or romano cheese

1. Heat the olive oil in your favorite soup vehicle. Add onion, garlic and 1 1/2 t salt. Saute over medium heat for 5 min, then add carrot, oregano, black pepper and basil. Cover and cook over very low heat for about 10 more min, stirring occasionally.

2. Add bell pepper, zucchini, water, tomato puree and red wine. Cover and simmer about 15 min. Add chickpeas and simmer another 5 min.

3. Bring the soup to a gentle boil. Add pasta, stir and cook until the pasta is tender. Serve right away, topped with parsley and parmesan or romano.

Comments

Uisce said…
yum, now I'm all a-droolin'! :)
Bearette said…
hi uisce! you must have come from lish's.
Caro said…
Mmm, minestrone.
Bearette said…
it's my personal favorite minestrone. it's one of those "no leftovers" dishes.
Anonymous said…
I would love to try this recipe. Maybe this weekend!

If you ever go back to Florence, I had the best minestrone at a tiny place not far from the Duomo called Le Mossace. We ate there twice because it was so good. You sit at communal tables and the little kitchen is within arm's reach. You can literally point to what you'd like to eat, as it's all on display.

Ah... Italy...

(sniff)
Lish said…
Do you have a really good recipe for hummus? Or is there a store brand that you recommned?
Lora said…
Actually, if it makes you feel any better. It's been gray and overcast for the past couple days and raining back and forth. We finished it off with a huge rain storm and even got some hail. All in all a very good day for soup.
Bearette said…
Lish - It's interesting, I don't actually eat hummus that much. However, I've made it out of Mollie Katzen's Moosewood cookbook. I also liked the look of a recipe at columbusfoodie.blogspot.com.

Lora - That's too bad!
Bearette said…
Here it is. I haven't actually tried it, but it appeals to me.

--two cans of garbanzos
--couple of scoops of tahini
--generous olive oil
--generous salt
--pinch of cumin
--couple dollops of crushed garlic (the stuff in the jar or the fresh stuff sauteed for 30 seconds)
--juice of half of lemon

Blend it all together in a food processor. Add a pinch of water if it is too thick.
Lish said…
Thanks! I've polling all of my vegetarian friends.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!