Finally, it has happened to me

What has happened, Bearette? you ask. Well, a good recipe for pad Thai. These are few and far between. Just ask Carolyn.

I found this recipe on Digital Vittles, doctored it a bit, and am now quite happy with it. I used Kikkoman Thai-style chili sauce, and I think that really helped. Note: I doubled the sauce; if you like a dry pad Thai, you can halve it.

Here it is:

The sauce: 1/2 c rice vinegar, 4 T chil sauce, 4 T sugar, 4 T natural unsweetened peanut butter, 2 dashes soy sauce.

6 oz rice noodles
1 lb. diced cooked tofu (use firm)
2-3 scallions, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten (I used Egg Beaters with fine results)
1 handful of peanuts, chopped
1/2 lime

1. Cook noodles in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, rinse and set aside. Whisk the sauce ingredients together and set aside.

2. Heat wok or large frying pan on medium heat with 1 T canola oil. Add eggs and stir until done. Move to the side and add tofu and scallions to the center. Sprinkle with another dash of soy sauce.

3. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until the tofu is heated through and the scallions soften slightly. Mix the egg back in and add noodles to the pan. Mix well.

4. Add sauce to pan and mix to coat noodles. Turn the heat down to low so the sauce won't catch. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring. Once sauce is absorbed, add peanuts. Squeeze 1/2 a lime over the pan and serve.

Also, I saw an MSN headline recently that said men like revenge more than women. I wonder if this is true?

Finally, I'm going to Austin this weekend for GABE (the Great Austin Blogger Encounter). I am going to *try* to just take a backpack and pocketbook. No suitcase. We'll see if this works out. Not that I pack that much...I never bring a blowdryer on vacation, for example, because I seldom use one. But stuff adds up anyway. I suppose this makes me similar to Sally - "You're the worst kind. You think you're low maintenance, but you're actually high maintenance."

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
Yum! That sounds really good!

Looking forward to GABE! Unlike you, however, I will be taking a suitcase.

A big one.
Caro said…
A good pad thai recipe! Have I told you lately that I love you?

Women like revenge MORE than men. They just won't admit it. (But I will.)

Enjoy your blogger convention. Sounds fun!
Anonymous said…
We went out for Thai over the weekend and I had a divine panang tofu. Oooooh, it was so good. I ate my leftovers for breakfast the next morning.

M always quotes that line from WHMS. I'm not sure what he's trying to say.

:)
Bearette said…
C - hehe ;) I think you will like this one. no ketchup!!!! and i've always thought that (about the revenge). although women seek it in subtle, passive-aggressive ways, and men probably just clock each other.

L - i think i've had panang before...a kind of yellow curry?
Poppy said…
Mmmmmmm, pad thai. Now I know what to do with my next pound of tofu.
Anonymous said…
It was a coconut-peanut curry sauce, with basil and shredded kaffir lime leaves.

I resisted my Sally tendencies and did not ask for the sauce on the side.
bdogg_mcgee said…
Liz--droooool

I'm always asking for stuff "on the side" or I change it up somehow.

I figure that I'm paying for the meal, why can't I have it the way I want it?

I'm pretty laid back about everything else in my life, hence the state of my house right now. :)
Bearette said…
Hehe ;) I often change it up too. Probably not as often as D though.
I love Austin. I should have really bought a house there when I had the chance. Missed that opportunity. :(

Have a good time and definitely post about it.

As for Pad Thai, my buddy's wife makes the best Pad Thai. She's an actual Thai cook. She also makes the best soups. I love Thai food.
Bearette said…
hmmm...if you get her recipe, feel free to post it!

;)
Lish said…
I am so excited about this recipe! I love pad thai!
Bearette said…
i'm making it again tonight ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!