The soundtrack of our lives

Zombieslayer had this meme at his site and I figured I'd copy. You write about one or more songs that always make you remember something or someone. You can tag as few or as many people as you want. Feel free to do the meme at your own site or in my comment section!

"Father Figure" - George Michael. I'll always remember hearing this song at an 8th grade dance, held in a church. I was wearing stretch acid-wash jeans (yeah!) and a pink ten-button shirt. I believe the acid-wash jeans were tapered and tucked into slouch socks, as well. I think I even had my hair permed although it's naturally wavy, because *everyone* was getting perms then. Anyway, that song came on and we all thought it was the deepest song ever. I still feel a little reverence when I hear it ;) Maybe it's the faint touch of gospel music about it.

"Pride (In the Name of Love)" - U2. It was senior year in high school and I was picking up my mom's birthday cake. In her car. It was rainy, I was singing along with the car radio and not paying attention, and the car in front of me braked. I rear-ended it. Of course, that car got a dent and my hood folded up like a Kleenex. Did I mention it was my mother's car? AND the woman in front of me, since it was a small town, was the mother of a girl who graduated my high school the year before.

"Open Your Heart" - Madonna. My college roommate and I had a whole dance routine worked out to this. The words are:

I see you on the street and you walk on by (we'd walk along)
You look like such a sad boy, I wonder why (sad faces)
If you gave me half the chance you'd see (making a circle around one eye)
My desire burning inside of me (hands fluttering to signify flames - OK, that one was weak)
But you choose to walk the other way (turning and walking away in an aloof manner)
Well I got something to say (wagging finger emphatically)
Don't try to run I can keep up with you (running in hot pursuit)
Nothing you do can stop me, you've got to
Open your heart to me
(bursting hands open in front of heart)
I have the lock and you have the key (turning a key in the air, and giggling at the obvious symbolism)

Later, there was an interlude in the song with no words (a "deep" instrumental) where my roommate would lie down on the floor and spin around.

OK, I think I've fulfilled my embarrassment quotient for the day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ha! That was too funny. I remember a very melodramatic routine that my friends and I created for Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". (and I think we stole some of your dance moves!)

And in 7th grade I inherited a pair of black, acid-washed Guess jeans from a family friend and I thought I was the shit. ;-) Slouch socks? Scrunchie? Large t-shirt?

Check, check, and check.
bdogg_mcgee said…
I had a pair of white--WHITE?!?--Guess jeans with patches on the ass. Oh man, I was like, "hell yeah!"

I once made a dance routine to Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" when I was like 9. Looking back on it I can't believe I was allowed to listen to that record. (yes it was vinyl...memories!)
Anonymous said…
I am dying laughing...
Bearette said…
Liz - I loved that one too! So romantic, so hopeful. And what was with us and the large t-shirts???

Bdogg - That's awesome. I love the monologue at the beginning of that song. "We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life..."

;)
Anonymous said…
Bdogg- my brother and I had the Beastie Boys "Licensed" tape when it came out. My mom loved Brass Monkey and used to sing it with us-until she found out what a Brass Monkey was.

LOL
SK said…
The funky monkey! OMG i loved that song.

I can't believe I'm about to reveal this.. but I had 3 routines to songs when I was a kid and shamefully they are much older songs - even if I am only 30!
*Touch me in the morning - Diana Ross (I danced around the living room in my cotton nightgown in a really dramatic way with a stretched out arm always leading the way.)

*Physical - Olivia Newton John. (Yes, the leg warmers and everything. I would lay on my back and pretend I was on a bicycle. Is that really an exercise?(

On her next album Olivia Newton John had another song about being a secretary or something. I would put on my mom's glasses and pearls and sit at the table with the typewriter.

RIIIIIIIIIIGHT. I know, I needed help.
Bearette said…
the last one is truly original ;)
Caro said…
So when are you going to post a little movie on your blog that we can watch of you doing this dance? Please, please, please.

What is a brass monkey? I didn't know it was anything.
Anonymous said…
Carolyn, it's a cocktail made with rum, vodka, and OJ.

Just the thing for kids!
Caro said…
Well, maybe for my kids! Would it help them sleep?
Bearette said…
Hehe...never!!!!!! i'd need my roommate to do the dance full justice. and i hardly ever get to see her anymore. but she lives in dc. maybe...dc blogger encounter?

I didn't know what a brass monkey was either, so d did an internet search. i was disappointed to find it was just a drink :(
Ashley Beth said…
While wearing a side ponytail and bangs that were sticking straight up in the air, my brother and I did THE Footloose dance and we'd slide across the living room floor, continuing on into the kitchen floor and crashing into the wall.
We would also sing "I love Rock and Roll" really loud while *thrashing about.

*I don't believe our moves are allowed the honor of the term "dance."

guess jeans...I think I actually cried in the store one time because I didn't get that pair of acid washed ones! WHAT A BRAT!
Bearette said…
well, guess jeans were the bomb back then! can't blame you ;)
Lisa said…
I remember trying to learn all the lyrics to We Didn't Start the Fire and End of the World as We Know It.

I don't think I ever had Guess jeans.
Bearette said…
i think i did, but they didn't magically change the world or solve all my problems. oh well.
Heh. "Careless Whisper" brings back a few sad memories. As I said in my blog, it was "New Year's Day" from U2. Yeah, I know I dogged U2, but I will admit that Achtung Baby is one of the best albums of the 90s.

As for Madonna, "True Blue" reminds me of a cutie I was crazy about in my sophomore year that I didn't act on. :(
Bearette said…
i still love achtung baby. zooropa hangs in there, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!