Well, I had a bit more excitement than I bargained for today. I got an email saying that an email address had been added to my PayPal account, and it wasn't mine. I clicked on a link in the email message to correct it. D was sitting next to me and said, "That's a fraudulent site, don't give them your PayPal password," and I closed the window. Then I changed my PayPal password, going to PayPal.com rather than the link in the email.

Then I remembered that I got an email yesterday that said "PayPal Account Suspended." I clicked on a link, which brought me to "PayPal", and they asked me to re-enter my credit card number, bank account number, etc. I thought the account was dormant because I hadn't used it in a while.

That was STUPID!!!!

Turns out there is a scam where they cut and paste the PayPal pages and use the PayPal return email address. The part they fake is the URL, but how many people check the URL of a page after they click to it? Not me...but I always will now!

So I called my credit card company, ordered a new card, canceled the old one, and did the same with my bank account.

The drama's not over, though. They still have my name, address, social security number, mother's maiden name, etc. Isn't that scary? There are credit notifying services that will tell me if someone tries to open up an account in my name, but I'll try to see if there's something free I can do to protect myself, in addition to what I've already done.

This was a big lesson for me. My MIL often sends me emails about scams and I delete them, thinking: Who would give their credit card information over the phone? I was just never suspecting something this clever.

PayPal is apparently aware of this scam. In a real email from them confirming my password change, they said to open a new window whenever you visit them and type in their URL.

Update: I did an Internet search for "identity theft", which brought me to the DOJ website. You can put a "fraud alert" on your credit report with Equifax, and they notify Experian and the other place (I forget its name already) so you don't have to call all three of them. You don't need to notify the FTC unless stuff has already happened. There are also phone numbers for social security fraud and tax fraud, but the social security fraud line is closed for the holidays. Lazy tushies! The Equifax fraud line was automated, which was nice. Now I'll know if anyone tries to open up accounts in my name.

Comments

Poppy said…
Bearette, sorry you're going through all this. :( The best advice is to never trust an email that comes to you unsolicited, even if from someone or a service you use, unless you were specifically expecting that info. Always best to open a new window and type in the URL to the legitimate site itself. For example, I can say you're going to PayPal but instead send you somewhere else. See? http://www.paypal.com! (That doesn't go to PayPal, it goes to Poppy. :)

I imagine Equifax probably warned you, but when you put a fraud alert on your credit report it will take more time or more proof of identity to do certain things, such as request credit cards. Also, the fraud alert will expire, and you will need to ask for an extension.

Good luck! Stinky scammers!
Bearette said…
Thanks Poppy. I have definitely learned my lesson.
Anonymous said…
Pooh! That is horrible. And poor Paypal. I'm sure this scam is ruining their business. I kept getting fraud emails with their name and ended up cancelling my account with them because I couldn't be bothered to keep checking up on which was which.
Bearette said…
Leah - Sorry to hear about your friend. I will be more careful now, too!

Tara - I'm tempted to cancel my PayPal account, too.
Caro said…
Yuck. I'm sorry. I hate the jerks who have no better way to make money than by stealing from everyone else. I think for ten dollars you can freeze your credit,so that nobody can open any accounts. You can unfreeze it when you apply for something, but then it is ten dollars to freeze it again. Kind of a pain but money well spent.
Lora said…
Glad you caught it so quickly. Thanks for the reminder to be more careful.
Anonymous said…
I get the same fraud emails from PayPal/Ebay all the time. I ignore them because I know they're frauds now. What a drag.

I just got to your site through Kim's, and I must say I'm addicted to the little dog with the treats.
Lisa said…
What a pain! I get those e-mails, too, and I don't even have a PayPal account!

While I was out of the country for a couple years, someone got ahold of my credit info and did some damage. Didn't spend any of my money, but hurt my credit rating. I found out when I applied for a credit card and was rejected.

The fraud alert will create some headaches for you---applying for a credit card will take five times as long---but it's worth it as far as I'm concerned.
Bearette said…
Thanks for the support, everybody :)
KitKat - I'm addicted to feeding the doggy too! ;)
Michelle said…
i just ignore the emails. check in on my paypal account every once in a while to make sure things are kosher. it's really weird though, it's very cyclical. i'll get tons of stupid paypal scam emails, and then it'll be quiet for a while. sometimes i'll get the emails at email address that are not even on my paypal acct. nothing says scam louder. indeed, the internet can be a scary place.
Anonymous said…
Grr! They make me so mad. I've been getting lots of emails like those. They look so official, it's easy to be fooled.

Experian and TransUnion are the other 2 big credit bureaus.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!