OK, I'm a little grumpy and tired, but I still want to share an incident from today with you.

Why am I grumpy and tired?

1) 2 nights ago, I was having a dream that I was in school and the teacher was disappointed in us. She said, "I gave you all sixes, and I usually give people sevens OR OR OR OR..." In the dream, I almost said, "Stop saying OR!" but I woke up and realized it was a persistent drilling sound one floor up. Someone on the sixth floor is constantly drilling and hammering and I want to kill them. Yes I do.

2) Last night: I love my mother, but she snores to beat the band. D asked, "Why were you sleeping in the same room?" We weren't! We were sleeping in adjacent rooms with both doors closed. Finally I got the bright idea of going to the opposite end of the house and pulling out the sofabed. I fell asleep immediately.

Anyway, here's the incident I wanted to share. We visited my family friend W at the nursing home today. W is very sweet and a good conversationalist. Her roommate, E, is a RIOT. E was eating in the dining room with the other seniors while we chatted with W.

A woman came into the room, looking distressed.

"Are you E's relatives?" she said.

"No," we said.

"Well, E has a book out from the library, it's overdue and we really need to return it," she said.

The woman poked around a bit, looking for the book, and went away. Then W said to my mother, "Take a peek in the drawer," and we did. We saw this book, DOGS ON DUTY, with pictures of dogs on the cover.

Then E came back to the room.

W: Someone was looking for your library book. Do you have it?

E: Nope, no book.

W: Well, she says it's overdue.

E: She'll have to take it up with the authority. There'll be no problem.

I liked the cajones of this. As we left, she said in a soft voice, "Have a happy day."

Comments

Caro said…
E sounds like a hardened criminal. Isn't it a felony to return your library book late?
BTW, get well soon!
Bearette said…
Thanks C!

I think it's mostly worn off, I just feel vaguely allergic/disgruntled.
Bearette said…
As for the library book, probably a misdemeanor... ;)

She also sleeps with a stuffed doggy ;)
Caro said…
Stuffed doggies don't snore, shed or hog the covers. Perfect.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!