The movie was awesome! I enjoyed it a lot. They cut out the whole Princeton subplot, where Maggie crashes at Rose's alma mater, but I can't say the movie suffered from it. Also, Rose has a boyfriend in the movie that I don't remember from the book...he's really into food...and there's a special emphasis on Jamaican food with jerk spices that I don't remember either. However, I thought the movie hung together really well and the intelligence and humor of Jennifer's writing made it to the screen. Also, when the opening credits said "based upon the novel by Jennifer Weiner," I kind of knew how excited she felt. I don't know why. Anyway, having met her, I would say there are real similarities between her and Rose...wry sense of humor, etc.

Cameron Diaz spent the whole movie basically naked (except when she's working at a retirement home). I dunno whether that was an effort to bring men into the movie or just show Maggie's character. Anyway, I had read reviews that said she wasn't sympathetic, but I thought she was. She wasn't perfect, and was sometimes annoying, but you could root for her. Rose was prickly but understandable. If you liked the book...see it!

I'll go to bed now b/c I'm tired.


zzzzzzzz

Comments

Caro said…
I really enjoyed the book, but don't know about seeing Cameron Diaz naked a lot. Talk about really feeling bad about yourself afterward. LOL
Bearette said…
But she was kind of bedraggled and trampy so you ended up feeling bad for her ;) And she's never literally naked, just half. I think it was for the male viewers.
Lisa said…
If I remember correctly, the Jamaican food was toward the end of the book, when Rose starts going out with the guy I can't remember anything about other than that his mother has some connection to Rose. Anyway, Rose and the guy go out for Jamaican food because he's really into it. I think.
Bearette said…
Oh, so maybe it wasn't made up after all! That's good.

For some reason I forget plots very, very quickly.
Michelle said…
i'm going to go see the movie sometime soon. the boyfriend wasn't a boyfriend at first. he was a restaurant reviewer for the paper they both worked at. rose was always the person that accompanied him to the restaurants. i'm kinda glad they took out that scene at the college, i thought that was a little farfetched.
Bearette said…
oh! in the movie, Rose and the boyfriend were lawyers. but the restaurant reviewer part makes sense...in the movie, he's really into food.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!