Minestrone


I realized I hadn't posted any recipes lately, and Crystal and I exchanged emails about this one. Here it is! (The gray stuff is steam ;)

Minestrone (from Mollie Katzen's original Moosewood Cookbook)

1 1/2 c cooked navy beans (1 can)
1/2 c dry pasta
1 c fresh-chopped tomatoes
Parmesan cheese
3 T olive oil
1 c chopped onion
4-5 cloves crushed garlic
1 c chopped celery
1 c chopped carrots
1 c chopped zucchini
1 c chopped green pepper
2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 t oregano
1/2 c fresh-chopped parsley
1 t basil
2 c tomato puree
3 1/2 c water
3 T red wine

In a soup kettle or large, deep skillet, saute garlic and onions in olive oil until they are soft and translucent. Add 1 t salt, carrot and celery. Mix well. Add oregano, black pepper and basil. Cover and cook over low heat 5-8 min. Add green pepper, zucchini, water, puree, navy beans and wine. Cover and simmer 15 min. Add tomatoes and remaining salt. Keep at lowest heat until 10 min before you plan to serve. Then heat the soup to a boil, add pasta, and boil gently until pasta is tender. Serve immediately, topped with parsley and Parmesan.

This is my personal favorite minestrone. It's surprisingly quick once the chopping is done, and it's fun to divvy up the chopping with someone else.

Yay!

Comments

Caro said…
Looks, mmm mmm good.
Bearette said…
You should try it ;)
Anonymous said…
I just realized that I didn't finish posting pictures from Italy! I took pictures of most of the food we enjoyed, including some incredible minestrone I had at a little trattoria in Florence. Yours looks like tough competition!
Anonymous said…
Bearette, how many servings does the recipe make?
Bearette said…
I'd say it makes about 4 servings as an entree. Probably 6 as an appetizer. It's hearty though, so I'd serve it as an entree.
Lora said…
It's funny once you start making soups homemade how simple they are and oh so yummy.
Bearette said…
It's true. I'm actually going to make some vegetable stock (or I'm hoping to) because the bouillon I used to use (for soups requiring stock) was way too salty.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!