The perfect cookie

Today, there is a big rainstorm/thunderstorm in Manhattan; it's romantic and scary all at once. AND I had the perfect cookie.

I love the peanut butter cookies at Whole Foods, but they do not always get the texture right. I am seeking soft and chewy, but with a touch of "al dente" - i.e., Pepperidge Farm Soft-Baked are too soft for me. Whole Foods makes their p.b. cookies either perfect or hard (overcooked and brown). There is no in-between.

I test the cookies by pinching them gently with a piece of parchment covering my fingers.

Yesterday they had a perfect one, but some hooligan took a bite out of it and PUT IT BACK. I know, I know. Even grosser - my mind briefly entertained buying it, but I reasoned I had no idea what germs the transgressor left on the cookie.

But today, I found the perfect cookie. And it was bite-free.

Also, they were playing "Alone" by Heart in the store. I had forgotten this song's existence, but it brought me back to the summer of 1987 when "Bad Animals" was my favorite tape.

I'm also digging orange juice and oranges lately, and Your Vegetarian Pregnancy tells me that Vitamin C can make a baby bigger. So here's hoping I don't have a 15-pounder.

Comments

Roxanne said…
Oranges are also great for the folic acid. I can't remember what it does for baby, only that it's significant.

I think the fact that you contemplated buying the bitten into cookie, tells us just how important "The Perfect Cookie" is to you. ;)
Bearette said…
I think it helps prevent spina bifida :)

And yes, the perfect cookie is extremely important!
Anonymous said…
I think we agree on the perfect consistency for a peanut butter cookie. It should definitely be al dente- almost like a soft one that was left out on the counter for a couple of hours.
This suzy said…
I love that song! lol

And now I'm wishing I had some good peanut butter cookies. lol
Bearette said…
Liz - exactly!

Suzy - i like how she belts it out.
Iamthebookworm said…
It is very important to have just the right consistency for a peanut butter cookie. They can't be too crunchy!
Elsa said…
Glad you found a good PB cookie. I'm more of a chocolate chip cookie person myself.

And that is SOOOOOO gross - I can't believe someone would bite a cookie and then put it back. I don't think I would eat any of the cookies around it...what if it touched another cookie and the germs transferred to what seemingly is a germ-free cookie? Not worth the risk - not that I'm paranoid or anything :)
Bearette said…
That's true, actually...didn't even occur to me! I ended up taking a cookie far away from the bitten one, though ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!