Silver sneakers

So, as y'all know, I recently joined Crunch. I thought I would take some more of their fun classes and decided to take a RetroRobics class at a different location than usual. The class was billed as an old-school aerobics class, Richard Simmons-style. Remember the aerobics scene from WHMS?

So I went over there and quickly realized I was the only woman of childbearing age in the room. I asked one of the women, "Is this RetroRobics?" She said, "Yes," and returned to the clique. An issue of AARP lay on a chair nearby. I felt like an excluded kid in the playground. Never mind; I'll observe. So I observed a man with two tufts of white hair struggling to lift an air-filled green ball, and got a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Then the instructor breezed in. He looked more like SJP's friend on SATC than Richard Simmons. "HELLO!" he yelled. Then he saw me and mouthed, "Are you taking the class?"

Me: This is RetroRobics, right?

He shook his head sympathetically, but it was somehow loaded with meaning, so I went over to get the 411.

Me: It says RetroRobics on the schedule!

Him: It's supposed to be. But based on who's here...you'd be the only one. It's really a Silver Sneakers class [leaning in] for seniors.

Oops. I felt like a total dork. Then the penny dropped. I realized this was an "old gym". The plethora of daytime classes...all for retirees. I guess I'll stick to the Crunch that's close to me.

Comments

verniciousknids said…
So Stanford Blatch got himself a new gig?!

All the gyms I've belonged to in Tokyo (Oasis / Tipness / Asahi Sports) are full of silver sneakers during the day. Having said that, most of them put people half their age to shame.

Note I said "people" not "me" :p
Anonymous said…
Oh no! That's funny. :) I could practically feel the sinking feeling as you spotted the AARP magazine...

My gym seems to be younger (it's a Gold's)... although they did just start a yoga/relaxation class for seniors.
Caro said…
Ha ha ha ha ha.

That happened to me once.

I went to an exercise class called "Young at Heart".
Bearette said…
VK - hee! i knew someone would know his name.

L - I guess a lot of old ppl live in that area? I'll stick to 38th st ;)

C - Good, so i'm not the only one ;)
verniciousknids said…
Stanford was a great character - I always enjoyed his catty comments. And he dressed like a dandy :)

Why do they use such cheesy names for products for older people?!
Bearette said…
i kinda like "silver sneakers"...it's cute. :)
Anonymous said…
When I saw the title of your entry I thought you bought a pair of silver sneakers. :)
Bearette said…
speaking of sneakers...i saw 2 PAIRS of reebok high-tops today. i'm scared.
;)
Anonymous said…
I had the same sentiment as Liz!

At least you stayed long enough to talk with the instructor. I would have bolted out of there feeling stupid before I got to solve the mystery!

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!