Currently addicted to Madeleine Peyroux's CD. It rocks.

Took my second spinning class tonight. The other was in Miami. I enjoyed this one much more. In Miami, I thought I needed really high resistance for support (when you stand up, etc.). This time, I figured: why torment myself? So I used reasonable resistance and got a good workout, but I didn't feel totally depleted afterward.

The instructor was kind of a character. She told us she got into a motorcycle accident - some guy slammed into the back of her vehicle.

[shocked silence]

Then she burst out laughing and started talking about no-fault insurance, and how she'll get six months of free chiropractic massages. Okay, then. Her music was good overall. Some Michael Jackson ("Beat It"), Michael Sembello's "Maniac" (during which she yelled, "MANIAC!") and some other yummies, interspersed with generic R&B. She hadn't worked out in a week due to the accident, and was really glad to be back. "A week without exercise! I'm like a caged animal!" she yelled.

Listening to "Beat It" reminded me of a restaurant I used to go to in 1983 with my parents. I was 8. It was called Romy's and they had a song-and-dance number at night. We never saw it, though. They served mediocre crackers with delicious cheese.

Everything at Whole Foods looks really tasty. The carrot cake, the $26.99 vanilla buttercream cake (I don't know why I remember the price), the chocolate macaroons. Slate had an article about WF. Slate doesn't think they're so wholesome after all. Apparently "organic" is not synonymous with "small farmers" - most organic produce comes from 6 megafarms in California. And WF says that eating organic food saves energy, but energy is wasted shipping this stuff over from Chile and California.

I'll still shop there.

Comments

Caro said…
26.99 for a cake! Ouch. No wonder you remembered the price.
verniciousknids said…
$26.99 is just under 3000 yen which seems pretty reasonable by Tokyo standards especially as I imagine it's a decent sized cake! Now if I was living in the real world I'd be outraged by that price! I wish we had a shop like Whole Foods here :(

Thanks for the link to Madeleine - I had a listen and WOW, great voice :)

Also I love it that your instructor yelled out "MANIAC" - it's compulsory when listening to that song :p
Anonymous said…
At my gym the spinning classes are in a room that's painted black, with fake neon green trees. They do class with just a black light on and really loud music. It's wild!
Bearette said…
C - I think it's also because I secretly coveted it :)

VK - I'm glad you liked it! I want to get all her other CDs now. Re the instructor - definitely compulsory ;)

Liz - that's like spinning in the jungle ;)
Lisa said…
I love WF carrot cake. Yum! I really need to avoid the bakery and prepared food sections of WF---those are my downfall. Unfortunately, the salad bar and the bread rack are in between those two areas.
Bearette said…
the cookies are so yummy too. particularly the monster cookies...
Anonymous said…
I love whole foods.... trader joe's is good too.

and i love using the word "yummy". it's actually my new favorite descriptor. I guess great minds think alike!
Mike said…
Spinning is yummy. Great for what we racers call leg speed. Just don't forget to not coast when you stand up... When it's warm enough, we head to the velodrome and do spinning on the track. I retired from that after a few bad crashes, plus Kissena is the closest to where I live, not exactly convenient.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!