The antisocial woman

There is a woman on my floor who is very shy. She is a little older, but has a bright, alert face. She reminds me of a small, cute mouse. Anyway, she smiled at me recently, so I took a gamble and said hi as I was slipping out to Gristede's to get soy milk.

Hi, she said.

Then, as I was coming back from the supermarket, she was standing outside the elevator and we went up together. I didn't say anything, not wanting to scare her. Then, as she left the elevator, she said Bye.
It was heartwarming, somehow ;)

Comments

bdogg_mcgee said…
Bring her out of her shell! I know you can do it! :)
Anonymous said…
cute : )
Poppy said…
That would totally be me if I hadn't seen your face before (in your profile picture, I mean. I'm not stalking you, I promise!)
Bearette said…
hee! don't worry, poppy, i know you're not a stalker ;)
Anonymous said…
When I read this title, I was sure this post was about me :) I'm glad you took the initiative. She's probably so relieved!
Elsa said…
Oh...that's nice. Sometimes shy people really need that start...someone else to say "Hi". I think sometimes that's the hardest part for shy folks - breaking the ice. Once that is done, little by little, they can shed their shell with the person that said Hi.
verniciousknids said…
It's such an easy thing to say...yet some people find it so hard to do.
She's a woman of many words. Now, for the life of me, I'm trying to remember the President who would never speak. I heard one reporter said that he made a bet with his manager and said he could get three words out of the President. So the President said "you lose." True story, but forgot the President's name.
Bearette said…
D thinks it's Coolidge...for some reason, I thought of Eisenhower or Truman.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!