Parsnips and shows

I made a parsnip soup last night. I guess parsnips aren't popular with anybody except me and Didi Emmons, a cookbook author who eats them raw, like carrots :) It was very good, though D declined to try it. If you're interested in trying it, you saute 1 c chopped onions in 2 T olive oil, then add 1 or 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 t fennel seeds, and 3/4 t garam masala. (You can leave out the fennel seeds if you really want, but I think they add to it.) Saute for 2 min longer, then add 1 lb peeled, chopped parsnips and 3 c water. Simmer for 30 min, covered. Then add 3/4 c white wine and simmer for 10 min, uncovered. Blend everything together in batches in a food processor or blender, and serve with parsley if you are so inclined. (The recipe is from Vegetarian Planet by Didi Emmons.)

I'm reading 13 Ways of Looking at the Novel by Jane Smiley. I'm only about 20 pages in, but I have 2 impressions:

1) She is very intellectual.
2) She relishes big, meaty projects.

In this book, for example, she reads a hundred novels - and discusses them each in detail. But she doesn't start discussing the books until she's on page 270; up until then, she muses about the novel as a form. It is interesting, but it will probably take me a while.

Anyway, did anyone see The New Adventures of Old Christine last night? As D says, it's a difficult title. But it was funnier than I expected. My nose was out of joint because they were showing it instead of How I Met Your Mother, which always makes me laugh. I feel slightly guilty for liking the interloper, but hopefully Mother will return to its slot soon. (P.S. How I Met Your Mother will be back on March 20th. Woo!)

And...I think I'm starting to like Grey's Anatomy better than Desperate Housewives. Desperate is starting to seem cartoonish, though my neighborhood is a good place to watch it. At one bar, you can even get a $5 "desperate cocktail". (Not that I have.) But Grey's is really involving.

Comments

Bearette said…
but DH is so silly...and grey's is heartwarming ;)
SK said…
You know, ever since I moved into my own apartment I've started doing other things (umm, like talking on the phone ALL night-hee).. and I don't have time to watch tv anymore. I thought I would miss DH and Grey's anatomy.. nope. I'm even surviving without the Shield - and THAT's my favorite.

Actually, I'm enjoying not watching tv. Now if I only applied that time to reading... that would be something!

I agree w/D - parsnips don't sound that yummy. I love turnip greens though.. are they similar in taste?
verniciousknids said…
Bearette you are not alone in your love for the parsnip...I love their faintly nutty taste especially when they've been roasted. Mmmm. Unfortunately, this, along with zucchini, is something I can't buy over here. (I'm off to have a little cry now...)
Anonymous said…
I haven't seen either DH or GA, but I did see HIMYM a couple of times and thought it was really cute.

WTF? TMI? :)

I'm glad New Adventures was good. I really want for at least one of the Seinfeld crew to have a post-Seinfeld hit!
Bearette said…
Liz - as long as it's not too good, in which case it might supplant HIMYM ;) Love the abbreviations, btw.

VK - can you get them in other parts of Japan? i remember you said your mom grew zucchini...
Bearette said…
Lost - I've never seen Shield...sounds like a crime show. I know who YOU'RE talking to ;)
Bearette said…
I've never actually had turnip greens. Parsnips kind of taste like a combo of carrots, nuts and butternut squash...odd I know...but enticing ;)
Mike said…
Who is lostintx talking to?
verniciousknids said…
B: I've checked all the import stores and local greengrocers but no luck so far. At least there's plenty of other yummy veges to eat here!

Lostinx: I love The Shield too - so gritty; though the violence can be a bit full-on. I love the way the writers twist your emotions - i.e. you change from disliking Mackey to grudgingly respecting him.
Bearette said…
Mike - I thought it was you!!! But maybe Leah too?
;)

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!