Cupid

I feel like I am playing Cupid. Usually this has disastrous results. For example, I tried to fix up this girl with this guy in high school; I ended up involved with him; then she got involved with him later (briefly). Oy. But this time I feel good about what I am doing.

My friend AT sent me a couple of mildly panicked emails today. He has a crush on a girl from his church and she asked him on the way back from church to have pizza with her. They had a good time, and he decided he wanted to ask her out. But he was nervous!

Now, in all the time I've been friends with AT and living in the same city (almost 5 years), I've never seen him this nervous about a girl. He confided that he has a real crush on this one, whereas the one he dated before her, he just wanted to be dating someone and thought she did as well.

The girl is from Louisiana and works in fashion design.

So he called me tonight (I watched a bit of Gilmore Girls but was not really hooked - and did I mention, How I Met Your Mother will be back on March 20th? Yay!). He wanted to know how he should ask her out, where, etc. I could practically picture him pacing up and down his apartment as we talked, so I told him to call her as soon as he got off the phone with me. So he did and called back, seeking restaurant advice. And then:

AT: So what do you think?

Me: I'm having a watershed moment. I think you guys are going to get married.

AT: Oh, God.

Me: I'm serious. It just feels so momentous.

We also discussed whether he should contact her before Saturday, when he'll see her at the soup kitchen (she is not homeless, but rather, one of the other volunteers). I consulted D and we all agreed: No.

I hope I'm doing the right thing...I feel a bit as if I'm playing God with this relationship ;)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh hush!! That's just so cute, I love it! You must keep us updated on the progress of it all!
Bearette said…
hehe ;) I will, I even got his permission to post about it.
Caro said…
Go AT!
Anonymous said…
Thanks, guys. I'll let bearette know how it goes : )
verniciousknids said…
Yesterday (March 14th) was White Day in Japan so this is a very appropriate post! Good luck AT.

White Day is when women get the gifts (originally lingerie - hence the name) from the men they gave chocs to on Valentines Day.
Lora said…
Good luck AT!
Bearette said…
Vernicious, I looked into sponsoring a koala but it was kinda expensive. Oh well.
SK said…
Hey I love the idea of white day.. let's incorporate that here!

Yes, you must fill us in on the juicy details. That's so cute.. you sure do have good intuition! :)
Lisa said…
I like the idea of White Day---except I still want to be the one getting the chocolates on V-day.

Good Luck, AT.

And Bearette---I wouldn't worry about meddling or playing God. You're giving a gentle nudge to an adult who sought your advice and who is perfectly capable of choosing not to act on that advice.
Bearette said…
That's what D said, but I figured I wouldn't change the entry. What is my blog, if not candid? ;)

I'd rather get chocolates than lingerie.
Mike said…
You're just giving the guy the confidence he needs. We get really nervous about contacting the girls we really like, the ones we are ambivalent about are the ones we just walk up to.
Anonymous said…
I'd rather get chocolate lingerie.
Bearette said…
Hee!
Anonymous said…
Hmmmm....why do men get nervous? we want them to walk up and say hi. we just don't want them to get all lecherous....which is a different thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetable personalities

The return of Rudolph

happy birthday e!